Tyres (original fit)

I'm thinking of changing my front tyres (MG5 70 reg) after 20,000 miles as I'm getting regular wheel spinning, especially in the wet.
Bought from nearly new so presume the fitted tyres came over from China. Mine are Ecopia. Are these what you all have too? View attachment 22235
Yes. I put 4 Cross Climate 2's on my MG5 SR. A vast improvement

Bridgestone Ecopia was the standard tyre and I still have them on my car but I don't get loss of traction.
Have you always had that problem or is it mileage related?

Bridgestone Ecopia was the standard tyre and I still have them on my car but I don't get loss of traction.
I suspect you are more gentle on the accelerator pedal than me, and certainly more than my wife as we find them all too easy to spin up!

Alb, I've only just noticed it as I've touched 20,000 miles. And, yes, it's when I put my foot down and expect acceleration instead of slippage! Definitely worse when the wheels are not straight and, worryingly, the offside tyre seems more worn than the nearside. 🤔

If you are spinning the wheels, it will inevitably result in asymmetric tyre wear.
My mileage is much lower than yours BTW so I may see a reduction in performance as the miles rack up but at the moment it's OK :)

I seem to recall that the Saab 99 turbo was a bit prone to wheel spin? I remember test drive around Castle Donnington in the late 70s when they came out. I managed wheelspin in first second and third.
At the time it was probably the most powerful front wheel drive cars and in the days before traction control, also tyres were similar size to the MG 5 may be a bit narrower
My MG5 does wheelspin if I am in a hurry, mind you West wales lanes have a lot of loose gravel. Much better know the original bridgestones have put where they belong (a skip)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom