Tyres

Trevor

Established Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my front tyres as MOT coming up. Down to 1.8mm after 55K miles of hard driving. I was rather happy with that. Rear tyres still going strong.

I think @Jomarkh means put new tyres on the back and swap the old backs to the front.
That's what I would do :)
Absolutely, the handling can be very adversely affected if the newer more grippy tyres are on the front. This applies to both front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive cars. If the tyres at the rear have less grip/traction than the front in even damp road conditions (including wet, snow and ice) the tail of the car can very suddenly without warning break away even under quite modest cornering forces like a roundabout or junction. I have in the past tested this on both front and rear-wheel-driven cars and when changing a pair of tyres. Although this isn't just a new v old tyre phenomenon as it can also happen if you put a pair of tyres on one end of the car with very different grip performance. For example, if you put just a pair of Winter tyres on they would have a very different grip performance under various temperature conditions.

Yes, I know the TMP would inaccurately read front and rear but if you get a warning you ought to check the pressures around with a tyre pressure gauge which are ver inexpensive to buy. If it bothers you get them rest by the dealer but it certainly wouldn't bother me that much.

I think it's more relevant if you drive spiritedly.
If you drive sedately like me it doesn't matter so much. :giggle:

That is one reason another reason with the rears taking a long time to wear is the side walls start to crack
We have just replaced all four tyres on my wife's Fiat 500.
It's a 2016 model and only covered 13,000 miles.
The side walls on all four tyres had cracked due to perishing / age.
The rear tyres still had 5mm of tread ( only 7mm from new ) still left on them.
If you are a low mileage user, then rotating the wheels can be advantage.
VAG recommend wheel rotation every 5,000 miles.

We have just replaced all four tyres on my wife's Fiat 500.
It's a 2016 model and only covered 13,000 miles.
The side walls on all four tyres had cracked due to perishing / age.
The rear tyres still had 5mm of tread ( only 7mm from new ) still left on them.
If you are a low mileage user, then rotating the wheels can be advantage.
VAG recommend wheel rotation every 5,000 miles.
Don't VAG TMS auto calibrate to the corner of the car the wheel is on unlike MG?

Don't VAG TMS auto calibrate to the corner of the car the wheel is on unlike MG?
Yes they do !.
It pull's the info via the ABS system, it automatically relearns the new position of wheel.
The MG system is more basic and has to be told the location of each wheel and has no relearning ability is my understanding.

Screenshot_20221003_092935_edit_1369977865762832.jpg
Screenshot_20221003_093258.jpg

Thanks for that @N2STY .
This strongly suggests that the Gen 2 only, does have the ability to know that a wheel rotation has taken place and can relearn it then ?.
Interesting, as I had presumed ( the killer of all ) that the Gen2 had a very similar TPMS system as the Gen 1 model ?.
As a side note, I do remember that when I removed the 12 volt battery from my Gen 2 model for about 30 mins and refitted and booted up the car, it had NO readings displayed for the tyre four tyre pressures.
It displayed zero / three --- dash marks against each wheel tyre pressures.
After driving for a short time, the tyre pressures had restored themselves.
I received a TMPS warning a few weeks ago, on a N/S/R wheel, I reset ALL of the tyre pressures on all four wheels.
I entered the car and booted into READY mode, with the intension of going for a short drive to reset the TPMS system.
The car gave the TPMS light warning and bonging for about ten seconds, then before I could put the car into reverse, the warning light went out and the binging stopped !.
So, it would appear that something has clearly been changed / updated between the TPMS systems, between Gen 1 & Gen 2 models ?.

I think the tpms sensors are the same but where the gen1 has one receiver the gen2 has 4 ie one each corner

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom