U disk identify failure

BruceT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So having fitted my new seatbelt dog anti-bong devices, AND had my massive success on the Crypto market. There is a new hell in my life, Radio has stopped working, I mean there's a screen and all that, but the fundamental and primary requirement is somewhat....... missing. I have done the whole reset thing, multiple times. I HAVEN'T done a factory reset. This cryptic message comes up on power on.
20230508_120922[1].jpg

I've seen other people whose radio stopped working, and had that myself, but not seen this before. Car booked in the garage anyway. Has anybody seen this before?

Mine is a LR Trophy Connect.

Thanks all

So having fitted my new seatbelt dog anti-bong devices, AND had my massive success on the Crypto market. There is a new hell in my life, Radio has stopped working, I mean there's a screen and all that, but the fundamental and primary requirement is somewhat....... missing. I have done the whole reset thing, multiple times. I HAVEN'T done a factory reset. This cryptic message comes up on power on.
View attachment 17425
I've seen other people whose radio stopped working, and had that myself, but not seen this before. Car booked in the garage anyway. Has anybody seen this before?

Mine is a LR Trophy Connect.

Thanks all
Try disconnecting the negative terminal on the 12 volt battery by using a 10mm spanner 🔧 and leave it disconnected for about 15 - 20 minutes.
Then reconnect the negative battery terminal and retighten the clamp.
This master reset of the whole 12 volt system, may just restore the info unit problem 👍.

Try disconnecting the negative terminal on the 12 volt battery by using a 10mm spanner 🔧 and leave it disconnected for about 15 - 20 minutes.
I haven't tried that on this car, will that do the same as a 'factory reset', which I did do to get out of 'Tow mode'? The reason I haven't tried the factory reset is the pain of having to re-enter all the log-ins, phones, WiFi....... etc

I haven't tried that on this car, will that do the same as a 'factory reset', which I did do to get out of 'Tow mode'? The reason I haven't tried the factory reset is the pain of having to re-enter all the log-ins, phones, WiFi....... etc
It is my understanding that the factory reset in the info unit, is purely that.
The 12 volt battery disconnect is a total master reset of the whole system in the car.
All the major modules are reset by doing this.
When I totally removed the 12 volt battery from our LR model for about 20 minutes, it all came back to life without resetting anything ?.
It just lost the TPMS tyre pressure read out’s, which recovered themselves ?.

You dont have any USB thumbdrive installed by any chance ?

My best guess is that the message is just bad Chinese translation and should be something like "Failed to recognice U disc".

If you dont have any, installed my guess is that the internal flash has developed a problem.

You dont have any USB thumbdrive installed by any chance ?
No, nothing like that.

Just reporting back if you are interested....... I disconnected the 12v battery, as suggested, it HAS fixed the problem, and more importantly, to me anyway, nothing was deleted or needed to be re-registered.

I'll report the problem up to MG anyway.

Thanks for your help

No, nothing like that.

Just reporting back if you are interested....... I disconnected the 12v battery, as suggested, it HAS fixed the problem, and more importantly, to me anyway, nothing was deleted or needed to be re-registered.

I'll report the problem up to MG anyway.

Thanks for your help
Glad to have helped out and that your problem has now gone away !.
Saved a lot of lost time going back and forward to the dealership I guess.
If in doubt, whip it out ( as they say ).
I am referring to the 10mm spanner 🔧 here of course folks 🤣.
When modules sometimes become confused with messages / information they are receiving, they are unable to process that volume of info it is receiving and therefore basically fall on their arse and lock up / crash.
Unplugging the particular module affected should clear the fault in many cases, but this could involve locating the module and removing trim to access it.
By disconnecting the 12 volt battery, you are allowing all of the modules to clear their heads of any corrupt info and therefore hopefully restore themselves once again.

Good afternoon everyone,

I know this is already an older topic so maybe I won’t get a reply bit it’s worth a try anyway.

on my MG5 Facelift (I know this is the ZS forum) I have also come across this error and managed to solve it temporary by disconnecting the 12V Battery.
It has come back a few times since then and I have noticed that when this error is present a battery drain seems to happen on this 12V Battery.

Have any of you experienced the same behaviour with the U disk failure?

Kind regards,

Steven

I had the 'u disk identify failure' error coming up and radio stopped working. Booked it in to Arnold Clark MG East Kilbride. Didn't get my car back on first day because MG need to approve for them to do software updates. After 2nd day they came back saying they had ordered a new antenna for the car and once it arrived they'd book me back in. Checked out this thread and, thanks to the advice, disconnected the 12v battery for 20 minutes. Hey Presto! Radio is working and error message has gone. Do the 'Master Techs' even have a clue about these cars? 2 days they had my car! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Thank goodness for Google pointing out this site. Quick fix which worked like a treat. The hardest part was trying to find a 10mm spanner to begin with in the abyss which is my tool box!

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom