Underseat subwoofer

I typed in Roewe i5 onto AliExpress to see if any aftermarket headunits came up. As is usual with searches lots of junk came up, quite a lot of "personalising" for ZS items. Some head units but for earlier models

If you used an aftermarket headunit, you would lose the ability to change settings. It isn't a good idea.

That is why I was looking for one listed for the MG5. There are some manufacturers that produce head units tailored for specific vehicles on Amazon such as for some VWs. There isn't enough market in the UK for MGs but for Roewe in China is different.

Are there ISO connections on the back or do you need to tracing the wiring?
The MG head unit has a 'quadlock' type connector on the back. To connect this to an amplifier that uses ISO connections, you need a 'T-harness'. As different manufacturers use different pins in the quadlock for different purposes, T-harnesses are made for different car brands. I couldn't find one for MGs, so I bought one for BMWs, removed the unused cables (powered radio antenna etc) and modified the power supply pins. The MG only has one 12v positive supply (no switched supply) and uses a different pin for the earth connection. Having put the earth pin in the correct place, I connected up a small Vibe class D amplifier (tucked under the dash on the passenger side), it works a treat. Next job is mounting new tweeters and crossovers...

The MG head unit has a 'quadlock' type connector on the back. To connect this to an amplifier that uses ISO connections, you need a 'T-harness'. As different manufacturers use different pins in the quadlock for different purposes, T-harnesses are made for different car brands. I couldn't find one for MGs, so I bought one for BMWs, removed the unused cables (powered radio antenna etc) and modified the power supply pins. The MG only has one 12v positive supply (no switched supply) and uses a different pin for the earth connection. Having put the earth pin in the correct place, I connected up a small Vibe class D amplifier (tucked under the dash on the passenger side), it works a treat. Next job is mounting new tweeters and crossovers...
Is there a remote output from the headunit?

Interesting there is no switched ignition wire.

Are the speaker connections the normal ISO layout?

There isn't a remote output from the head unit, clearly it's not been made with the expectation of the audio system being upgraded. You need to get accessories that are switched on when the head unit speaker wires become live. The 'Vibe Optisound Micro 4 Channel Amp' and the 'InPhase USW300' subwoofer I bought both do this, so no remote wire or RCA cables are needed. I found this diagram of the quadlock
in a discussion about the MG ZS audio system, the pin layout is the same as the MG5. The speaker connections are in the normal ISO layout.
Quadlock.png

Last edited:
Hi, which subwoofer was it? Can you link?

I fitted a Pioneer TS- wx130da to my ZS using the speaker wires I paid about £135 for the unit the fitting kit was great with a good length to all the wires so fitting in the boot would be easy. It has a wired remote for set up and overall I was pleased with it as gives a fuller sound. The deep bass wasn't as good as my other car (an Ioniq se) so if I was buying again I would go for the next level up I think it was another £60 more, but if you want a real solid thud to the bass it may have to cost you a bit more.

I've finished upgrading my audio system, with good results. I fitted:

Vibe Optisound Micro 4 channel amp
£104​
In Phase XTC6CX Component speakers - two pairs
£138.28​
12v piggy back connector
£7.69​
In Phase USW300 powered under-seat sub woofer
£102.38​
T-harness eBay
£8.49​
£360.84​

The tiny, but powerful, amp and crossovers for the speakers fit perfectly out of sight on a little shelf in the passenger footwell, there's plenty of room for the T-harness connector behind the headunit and the sub-woofer fits neatly under the front of the drivers seat.
I fitted it all myself, not too difficult but I spent quite a bit of time researching how to do stuff on the web. If I had to do it again it would be much quicker. I couldn't get a T-harness for the MG5, so I got a BMW one, removed the redundant cables and moved a couple of pins to the correct locations.
I modified the mounts for the original door speakers to take the new ones.
I wanted to give the audio more power, improve the frequency response and clarity, (especially filling-in the missing low-frequencies) and reduce distortion. This was to be done with nothing visible and at minimal cost.
I think I've achieved these aims, the sound quality has been transformed for a modest outlay. I could have spent much more on more expensive brands but the key point of the MG5 is value for money, so I used this approach with the audio upgrade.
The only small issue to address now is the tendency for the door cards to reverberate a little at higher volumes and certain frequencies. This might go away if I settle on listening at lower volumes, but at the moment I'm enjoying cranking it up!

£104​
£138.28​
12v piggy back connector
£7.69​
£102.38​
T-harness eBay
£8.49​
£360.84​

The tiny, but powerful, amp and crossovers for the speakers fit perfectly out of sight on a little shelf in the passenger footwell, there's plenty of room for the T-harness connector behind the headunit and the sub-woofer fits neatly under the front of the drivers seat.
I fitted it all myself, not too difficult but I spent quite a bit of time researching how to do stuff on the web. If I had to do it again it would be much quicker. I couldn't get a T-harness for the MG5, so I got a BMW one, removed the redundant cables and moved a couple of pins to the correct locations.
I wanted to give the audio more power, improve the frequency response and clarity, (especially filling-in the missing low-frequencies) and reduce distortion. This was to be done with nothing visible and at minimal cost.
I think I've achieved these aims, the sound quality has been transformed for a modest outlay. I could have spent much more on more expensive brands but the key point of the MG5 is value for money, so I used this approach with the audio upgrade.
The only small issue to address now is the tendency for the door cards to reverberate a little at higher volumes and certain frequencies. This might go away if I settle on listening at lower volumes, but at the moment I'm enjoying cranking it up!
Do you have photos of the doors and amp mounting?

A photo of the T harness would be helpful if others wanted to do the same mod 😊

Do you have photos of the doors and amp mounting?

A photo of the T harness would be helpful if others wanted to do the same mod 😊
I could take a picture of the amp mounting tomorrow, the T-harness is now tucked away out of sight, looks like any other T-harness, some plugs and a jumble of coloured wires.

Powell9265
Next time I’m passing Ringwoood I will know it’s you if I hear boom boom boom 😂😂😂📻📻📻

£104​
£138.28​
12v piggy back connector
£7.69​
£102.38​
T-harness eBay
£8.49​
£360.84​

Do you have the part number or link for the t harness?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom