Understanding the seat belt lights on the display!

rbpasapera

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello,

I've noticed that the front passenger seat belt light stays off with no passenger and seat belt unfastened.

1.jpg

But when someone sits in the front passenger seat with the seat belt unfastened, the light stays on because of the sensor.

2.jpg

Is this ok? Or something is wrong with the front passenger seat belt light.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Am I reading this right ?
@rbpasapera, are you saying the light stays on when the seat is occupied and the seat belt not fastened ?
If so, that is the purpose of the light, to warn you that the occupant of that seat hasn't belted up.

You are right and I understand that purpose, but the light stays off when the front passenger seat is unoccupied with the seat belt not fastened, it should stay on?

The front seats have sensors, the back seats don't, I leave the rear seat belts plugged in.
Hand bag on the passenger seat brings my light on.

The front seats have sensors, the back seats don't, I leave the rear seat belts plugged in.
Hand bag on the passenger seat brings my light on.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the rear ones come on if a rear door is opened and the seat belts are unplugged.

I totally agree with you and I think I know how these lights work now, I was confused by the rear seat belt lights.
I have the same issue in that the rear seat sensors keep the lights on in the rear for some reason, this was not the case when I first got the car. I have now started to fasten the rear belts when nobody is in car to switch the lights off. They should only illuminate if someone is on the seat with no belt fastened so my sensors are defective and it sounds like that is a common fault or the Chinese do not understand how these sensors are supposed to work.

Rear seat belts have switches but no sensors in the seats so it always gives an initial warning.
I have not checked it, but I assume that if a seat belt goes from secured to unsecured, it will alert you to the possibility that some one is loose.

I’m pretty sure there are no sensors in the rear seat, but the seat belt does have a sensor.
Rear seat belts have switches but no sensors in the seats so it always gives an initial warning.
I have not checked it, but I assume that if a seat belt goes from secured to unsecured, it will alert you to the possibility that some one is loose.
Like I said it appears the Chinese have not grasped how these things work on other cars. There should be no illumination if nobody is sitting on the seat, when weight is applied to the seat the warning light should come on to show somebody has occupied that seat until such time the seatbelt is applied then the warning light should go out, it appears the MG is completely the reverse of the normal accepted system.

Like I said it appears the Chinese have not grasped how these things work on other cars. There should be no illumination if nobody is sitting on the seat, when weight is applied to the seat the warning light should come on to show somebody has occupied that seat until such time the seatbelt is applied then the warning light should go out, it appears the MG is completely the reverse of the normal accepted system.
My last car was exactly the same, so not a chinese issue.
Initially warning and warnings if unplugged.
They don't put sensors in the back.
Probably for cost savings but also due to how back seats get used or can be removed.
(Dogs, packages, folded down etc).

My car seat belts are still all plugged in and I get the sensors going off? Is it something I can fix ?
I’ve had this issue for about a month had the car for 3 years never had this issue

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom