Unfaff with a frunk ?

Archev

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I’ve had a few instances of charging my ZS at an untethered Charge point. If I’ve had my folding bike or other stuff in the boot getting the cable out and unzipping it from its bag etc was time consuming- especially if I hadn’t prepared and had left it under the bike under the floor.
So I’ve made an aluminium bracket with a plastic storage box and bolted it under the bonnet to see if a rudimentary “ frunk” made it any easier. It uses existing holes so no drilling was required. It is fairly thin and small so there’s plenty air space all around.
So I can now pop the bonnet, take the “car end” out of the box and plug it in, then the remaining cable and charger plug and attach to the socket.
It’s still just a trial but seems to be easier and less of a faff wandering round the car wrestling the double headed anaconda out of, then back into, the wee bag with the jamming zipper !

I’ve had a few instances of charging my ZS at an untethered Charge point. If I’ve had my folding bike or other stuff in the boot getting the cable out and unzipping it from its bag etc was time consuming- especially if I hadn’t prepared and had left it under the bike under the floor.
So I’ve made an aluminium bracket with a plastic storage box and bolted it under the bonnet to see if a rudimentary “ frunk” made it any easier. It uses existing holes so no drilling was required. It is fairly thin and small so there’s plenty air space all around.
So I can now pop the bonnet, take the “car end” out of the box and plug it in, then the remaining cable and charger plug and attach to the socket.
It’s still just a trial but seems to be easier and less of a faff wandering round the car wrestling the double headed anaconda out of, then back into, the wee bag with the jamming zipper !
Nice one but do you have any pictures ?

Hi I’m on my way through the rain over to Oban. So I’ll take a picture once I get there. I only posted the tale before I left so give me a break for an hour or two - or four?

D9E4293E-8E27-45A2-8F3C-03DB3734DE8D.jpeg

Attachments

• C9A8CB14-8431-4A4E-9C70-3E354DF78474.jpeg
    C9A8CB14-8431-4A4E-9C70-3E354DF78474.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 403
  • F5B90E5A-7929-474E-8AB6-BFD7BE672D18.jpeg
    F5B90E5A-7929-474E-8AB6-BFD7BE672D18.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 1,337
Hi sitting hooked up to a free rapid charger in Oban mopping up some amps and stuff. The rain’s easing off and I’ve just posted pictures of the under bonnet scene in my ZS. We’ll sit for twenty mins here topping up to 80% which should last until we get back home tomorrow. Ahh the freedom one feels these days with two jabs and a fresh pack of 😷 stay safe everyone says 🧸 on the dash board 🤣

Hi sitting hooked up to a free rapid charger in Oban mopping up some amps and stuff. The rain’s easing off and I’ve just posted pictures of the under bonnet scene in my ZS. We’ll sit for twenty mins here topping up to 80% which should last until we get back home tomorrow. Ahh the freedom one feels these days with two jabs and a fresh pack of 😷 stay safe everyone says 🧸 on the dash board 🤣
That looks interesting! I saw the large space available there and thought about doing something similar. Could you please show us your bracket and where you bolted it please?

Many thanks

Cheers

Bloggsy

That looks interesting! I saw the large space available there and thought about doing something similar. Could you please show us your bracket and where you bolted it please?

Many thanks

Cheers

Bloggsy
Aye the bracket is basically a “T” or cross shape of 60 x 5 mm alloy bent at the ends. It’s bolted at the front (with the large washers) to the bonnet landing where there’s already two holes. At the back it’s resting/ wedged (ish) on the protruding screw where the sound deadening pad is secured with plastic plugs.
mots done a fair two or three hundred miles now and it’s pretty solid and doesn’t rattle or cause any problems that I can detect so far. And it seems handy on the Tesco run / lunch / charge 🤪🤪

Yes I believe if you buy the prehistoric petroleum powered cheapo version of the vehicle it’s just what’s needed for that task 🤣🤣

Ahh you should try the porridge it produces 👌 - totally sublime 😉. And you can keep a slice or two for dinner 🙃

Darn it - I’ve been rumbled 🤦‍♂️ It didn’t all come to me on the mountain in a wonderous flash of divine MGnificence after all then ? 😭
It’s a 10 litre “Really Useful Box” bolted to two bits of junk from my garage carefully interspersed with felt pads to dampen any oscillatory wobble factor during extreme cornering and braking on wee single track roads during lambing season. The real technical wizzadry it before someone else rumbles it was wrapping a bit of colour matched sticky tape around the plug to remind the driver which end of the cable goes in the red car 🤩

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom