• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Unsafe carkey?

Henri8

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hello from the Netherlands, this is Henri who just received this ZS-EV from good old MG!
130 km on the screen and thanks to your forum coping very well with initial and lasting annoying things like lane departure panic alarms:)
But today this happened and I cannot find anything on this on your very much appreciated forum.
Coming home I took my keys out of my pocket and the attached key string with my home key was not there anymore!
The chrome emergency key holder had been released by the small disengagement knob inadvertently. Later we found the key holder in my wife’s coat pocket without the key itself. Moments later fortunately we found the emergency key as well.
What shocks me is the very easy way it opens without even trying! I now realise that I cannot use this car key together with other keys.
Anyone who has an opinion on this that shows me wrong?
Stay healthy!
Henri

Hello. So- I had play around with my key. I would say that the release button needs to be pressed in quite far to release the latch. It doesn’t look like something easily accidentally done - on mine anyway. I’m glad that you found your keys anyway.

Upvote 0
Hmm... I do see your point. On my own key I don't use a key ring, so this didn't occur to me. I have just had a play with my key though and it takes quite a lot of effort to release, I doubt it would happen accidentally. Maybe some keys are "looser" so to speak.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your comments so far....
Might be the case, but it is easy on both my car keys...
It should have been a ring instead of a gap when opening
I guess that you do know the main reason it opens?

Upvote 0
I’m not sure how confident I am of it not failing and losing whatever is attached though. Especially now you’ve brought it up!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I worry about the static RF signal and the keyless entry that can be easily spoofed.
I got a Faraday pouch to help for that.

I doubt MG is at the top of people's lists to nick but many thieves are just opportunistic and take whatever they can. I have heard of bangers being nicked in the past although the old fashioned way.
Tesla can locate their cars which may put some thieves of EVs.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am using the faraday bag and the key holder with in, very practical and secure. Not experienced dislodging of the emergency key, new owner since 29 December 2020.

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_090314.jpg
    IMG_20210119_090314.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom