Update on solar & EV

AussiePete

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve posted before about getting solar & battery, and while it’s a little off topic I thought it might be of interest to some.

I've now had my solar and battery for just over 10 months and I thought I'd share some stats. For reference my system is 5.2kwp of solar (JA Solar) & 7.2kwh of battery (Pylontech). The system is a Moixa Smart Battery, so needs no management from me. I don't have a PV Diverter or Solar EV charger - Hot Water heating and EV charging is done off-peak. I'm on Octopus Go (7.5p/30.9p soon to be 12p/39.95p).

My off-peak EV charging has given me around 7,365 miles for a cost of under £160 and my household electricity cost (excluding standing charge) for the last 10 months has been £270, so I've saved around £712 so far this year just on household electricity and that’s before I count petrol savings

Overall I can say I'm pleased with my setup, how its performing and the benefits its returning.

If you’re considering doing solar & battery then join the Solar & battery UK group

FB_IMG_1681031080644.jpg

Sounds good but you must be talking about £10k or so of investment to achieve that, it's s shame on many levels that isn't within everyones reach.

Have you looked at signing up for exporting any excess solar? Octopus have good rates on some tariffs.

Sounds good but you must be talking about £10k or so of investment to achieve that, it's s shame on many levels that isn't within everyones reach.
Yes, that is the problem, it isn't a saving if you ignore the capital cost of the setup.

True savings only appear years later, once the system has been paid for. And really you should compare to the increase in the original capital if it had been invested instead.

I am not knocking people investing in solar and battery setups, but for the most part it doesn't save money except in the very long term, which also restricts you into never moving.

Have you looked at signing up for exporting any excess solar? Octopus have good rates on some tariffs.
Yes, my system was £9k a little over a year ago. Current prices are around £1200/kwp of solar and £600/kWh of battery fully installed

Yes, that is the problem, it isn't a saving if you ignore the capital cost of the setup.

True savings only appear years later, once the system has been paid for. And really you should compare to the increase in the original capital if it had been invested instead.

I am not knocking people investing in solar and battery setups, but for the most part it doesn't save money except in the very long term, which also restricts you into never moving.
I appreciate the thinking, but in a way it's like a bathroom or kitchen replacement. It gives me more pleasure knowing I'm generating my own power and not just paying for the profits of the big 6

We have 5.6kwp solar and 10kwh. All Sunsynk. Plus an Eddi. We have generated 500kwh in the first month and are a net exporter (just) despite some poor solar days and topping off the battery and hot water from grid overnight on cheap rate. EV is always off grid as solar isn’t enough atm to justify a Zappi. Not quite fully off grid but pretty much self-sufficient for normal household loads.

Waiting for the MG4 luxury (trophy) , also on order a PV installed capacity 7kWp, battery BYD 8,5 kW, not ordered the charger but thinking to complete the SMA hybrid inverter and home manager with a 22kW SMA charger as all works nicely together on 1 application/app no hassle to make all compatible. The capacity of the charger is higher the car can do (11kW) but the 7,4 kW monophase SMA is not a option as no phase switching , so the 3 phase charger is needed, also some features only SMA got as wheater forecast (delayed charging), and some others (peak shaving, yes we got capacity billing in BE).

Waiting for the MG4 luxury (trophy) , also on order a PV installed capacity 7kWp, battery BYD 8,5 kW, not ordered the charger but thinking to complete the SMA hybrid inverter and home manager with a 22kW SMA charger as all works nicely together on 1 application/app no hassle to make all compatible. The capacity of the charger is higher the car can do (11kW) but the 7,4 kW monophase SMA is not a option as no phase switching , so the 3 phase charger is needed, also some features only SMA got as wheater forecast (delayed charging), and some others (peak shaving, yes we got capacity billing in BE).
Because I already had a PV system with an SMA Sunny Boy and SMA Home Manager, I bought the SMA Smart Charger when I bought my MG4. After some configuration issues, I'm now able to charge in the various modes. The best mode: only send the excess power to the car - instead of "gifting" it to the net (I only get €6c per kWh, but I have to pay €25c ...). Living in a small village in Spain gets me 80% subsidy on my charger!

Because I already had a PV system with an SMA Sunny Boy and SMA Home Manager, I bought the SMA Smart Charger when I bought my MG4. After some configuration issues, I'm now able to charge in the various modes. The best mode: only send the excess power to the car - instead of "gifting" it to the net (I only get €6c per kWh, but I have to pay €25c ...). Living in a small village in Spain gets me 80% subsidy on my charger!
Do you have the 3 phase (22Kw) or mono (7,4Kw) ? In BE you only get max €525 on tax reduction when installing the EV charger + installation. Config changed a little to higher specs as the 6Kw hybrid was not available anymore.

Do you have the 3 phase (22Kw) or mono (7,4Kw) ? In BE you only get max €525 on tax reduction when installing the EV charger + installation. Config changed a little to higher specs as the 6Kw hybrid was not available anymore.
Because my house only has a 230V 2 phase connection (of 9.2 kW), I bought the 7.4 kW version.
As you can see in the attached picture, the smart charger tries to follow the PV generation curve and consumption - adjusting every minute ...

Attachments

• profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 62
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom