• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Upgrade problems

ColinP

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all, I booked my car in to Glyn Hopkins Milton Keynes this week for the new upgrade. As I’ve posted before, they told me there would be no charge, as they sold me the car. On the day, the service manager called me to say that MG would not guarantee that any problems post upgrade would not be covered by the warrantee. Ok, I thought, what could possibly go wrong? After trying to download and reprogram the car, all day. The car would not accept it. Has anyone else had this problem? The service manager is contact with MG and is trying to sort this out.

Hi all, I booked my car in to Glyn Hopkins Milton Keynes this week for the new upgrade. As I’ve posted before, they told me there would be no charge, as they sold me the car. On the day, the service manager called me to say that MG would not guarantee that any problems post upgrade would not be covered by the warrantee. Ok, I thought, what could possibly go wrong? After trying to download and reprogram the car, all day. The car would not accept it. Has anyone else had this problem? The service manager is contact with MG and is trying to sort this out.
Yes mine has been in part updated by Glyn Hopkins the USB updates don’t seem to have fully been applied. I have asked the Glyn Hopkins service centre to re-book the car and try again. Waiting to hear back from them. They have contacted me today and the car is rebooked for next Thursday. Let’s see how we get on. The Technician Dave is really helpful.

Last edited:

First of all, the upgrade is covered by the warranty if it develops a fault.

It is not covered as a warranty repair, hence some dealers are charging a fee for the upgrade. Since some dealers are charging, it is work carried out under contract by MG and therefore this chargeable work is covered under contract law and is included in the warranty. Dealers seem to be deliberately or otherwise misreading the AS-20-025 dealer communication which refers to the upgrade not being free, as part of a warranty repair, but an upgrade which requires payment. A good dealer will offer this upgrade foc as a goodwill gesture to their own customers.

Hi Mark
If you can see the HV battery range on your instrument cluster bottom left but you do not have the temperature and the other things you mentioned then the USB stick the dealer used is either faulty or they have not put the files onto it correctly.
I no this from personal experience. I was given an old usb stick, the files were on correctly but the usb stick data processing speed was to low and would not update the FCIM.
Get them to do the UBS update again, that it need to be a min 30gb and formatted to FAT32, the files put on must not still be in the folder from the download but copied to the stick from within the folder so all the files can be seen on the stick. Ask them to watch the FCIM screen and to make sure it does not display update failed, restoring data. It only displays it for a second and it looks as if the update goes in. The update will not take any more than 10 mins
Mark/Colin,
get them to check out MG Technicians advice above from earlier in this thread.

I bought my car from Lodge Hill Garage near Abingdon. (Where real MG's used to come from). I asked them about the upgrade and they said there would be no charge but the car needs to be booked in for the whole day. I will do it when I can see a suitable day. This is my first electric car but I am hugely impressed with it. OK it does not have the poise of my old car (Merc E series estate) but I think they have put a lot of effort into the design of the ZS EV. Now we just need fast-charge provision around the country to match it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom