Upgrading Dash Camera

I have a next base 622 front and rear connected with cigarette lighter socket. I have the new long range ZS on order that has a usb connection built into the rear view mirror housing.
I contacted nextbase about a usb connection instead of 12volt lighter socket…..they informed me that there is not enough power in a usb connection to power the camera.
That doesn't make sense, if you hook it up to a PC one of the modes is for charging...

I have a next base 622 front and rear connected with cigarette lighter socket. I have the new long range ZS on order that has a usb connection built into the rear view mirror housing.
I contacted nextbase about a usb connection instead of 12volt lighter socket…..they informed me that there is not enough power in a usb connection to power the camera.
I would assume that their cameras run on 12v then, USB is a 5v supply.

Put a multi meter on the mirror usb and all will be revealed. Might be different cameras use different volts. All mine run off of my iPhone chargers or cig socket.

Their own 12v cable outputs 5v, poor advice from nextbase...

The camera comes as standard with a 5V adapter that plugs into the 12V power socket so that will be what they were talking about.

I was thinking about the rear camera attachment. Where did you place the actual dashcam so the rear camera attachment gets a clear view?
It really should be in the section swept by the windscreen wiper so most people put it in the middle at the top.

I have the Nextbase 522GW with the rear camera that attaches to the side of it, the one with the telephoto lens that looks through the rear window, not the wide angle lens for the interior.
I had my doubts about the rear cam attachment, but I didn't want to route a wire to the back and was pleasantly surprised by the view. It's the same view as you get through the interior mirror so it sees what you see (tailgating etc) and number plates are clearly read.
I was thinking about the rear camera attachment. Where did you place the actual dashcam so the rear camera attachment gets a clear view?

Hi, we are still awaiting our trophy ev and have opted to have the dealer and wire a rear and front dashcam for us, any idea what types MG dealerships use?

Just had a Viofo A130 2 channel Dashcam installed by Ceirtech on Anglesey Ceirtech. Dan has installed dashcams on quite a few MG ZS EVs until Pentraeth gave up their MG dealership. Did a great job and charged £60.

Last edited:
Just had a Viofo A130 2 channel Dashcam installed by Ceirtech on Anglesey Ceirtech. Dan has installed dashcams on quite a few MG ZS EVs until Pentraeth gave up their MG dealership. Did a great job and charged £60.
Diolch, I didn’t know MG had gone from there, I used to drive past it quite often going to Amlwch. No wonder they never used To come up on MGs branch locator online.

Diolch, I didn’t know MG had gone from there, I used to drive past it quite often going to Amlwch. No wonder they never used To come up on MGs branch locator online.
Threeways in Abergele took over the dealership from Pentraeth. That’s where I got my car from.

I have the 622 working fine on the MG’s mirror USB connector. (Don’t have the rear camera but don’t think that would make a huge difference as highlighted by the other members)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom