Urban Hybrid Management

Hi Mick,
Am contemplating buying this car as well (I'm in FNQ) does your GOM say 52Km full charge ?
I see MG adjusted the website to say 63Km WLTP, so was wondering your approx. range in full EV mode, I currently have an Outlander PHEV and getting around 35Km per charge now, so was hoping the MG would do around 60 odd !
Andy :)
I'll check in the morning, but I think it says 63km. And it seems to be not too far off achieving that in my experience so far.

Hi Ozzie Mick I forgot to mention the reason I manually switched between hybrid and ev mode. This is because in hybrid mode , once you start driving you are in ev, but go over 25 mph (40kmh) and it switches to ICE . I'm guessing why you had battery left after your 75 km trip was because you were driving over 40kmh for most of it.
On my long trip I switched to EV mode when off the motorway, where I drive at 70 mph ( 112 kmh) and was in ev mode even when driving at up to 40 mph (64kmh) .Doing this made sure I used up all my battery which would not have happened if I stayed in hybrid mode.
Hi and yes that's exactly what happened. Most of the trip was done at well over 40 km/hour and so it leaned heavily on the ICE. I have since done the same trip, but forced the car into EV mode for most of it, including long (10+km) stretches at 100km/hr and I barely used any petrol.

ev.jpg

Mick, you're a legend, you may have just swayed me on this car LOL !
Is it all going well so far ?
Cheers mate !

How strange , as 63 km = 39 miles, but on my display it only shows 32 miles at 100%.
But my economy figures show I should be getting 39 miles easily.
Now I'm confused on what its telling me

Hi Amazon , I don't really know at present , as I am doing shirt trips up to 10 miles , then charge it up when there is less than 10 miles range left.
I'm sure Henri8 only shows 52 km h When I get a longer drive over 32 miles I will have to do it in pure EV and see what range I get

Yes that would be interesting to see what you get. It seems the PHEV version might display
different ranges in different parts of the world, the Thai version shows 67Km, and seems like they actually get that range.

I charged to 100% then I swapped the units over to show km and it showed 52 km of range , that = 32 miles. How strange if it's the same 16kw battery etc

Thought the same thing too, for a 16.5 kwh battery, its as they are software limiting/controlling the range depending on location ???

Could this difference in pre calculated range, as presented on the information cluster which is a fixed value irrespective of outside temperature, be related to the average regional temperatures. In fact Tropical Thailand 67, Australia 63 and Europe 52 etc?
As I indicated earlier, in my experience approximately 10 degrees is the value based on 52km.

Hi Henri8 , yes it may be just down to the average temperature.
So today I did 36miles ( 58KM) before the ICE kicked in. It is cold here in the UK 9c 48 F

Half of that trip was either on a motorway ( 70 mph 112kmh) or doing 50-60 ( 80-96 kmh) so not the most efficient use for the EV mode

Mick, you're a legend, you may have just swayed me on this car LOL !
Is it all going well so far ?
Cheers mate !
Yes mostly going well so far.
  • Good things
    • Nice smooth drive on battery
    • Adaptive cruise control and auto-high beam system is great
    • Comfy seats
    • Digital Instrument cluster is really nice
    • Android Auto integration works well
    • I'm happy with the speaker/sound system
  • Not so good
    • Speed sign detection system is broken (in Australia)
    • No knobs for climate control is a little annoying
    • Blind spot monitoring warning lights are barely noticeable
    • Sometimes when ICE is engaged I get a lot of vibration through the accelerator pedal.
    • Luggage space is ok, but EV system does seem to chew up a decent amount of it. Plenty of room with seats folded down though.
I'm going on a longer trip this week, so might have more to report after that.

Hi OzzieMick
I think you have summed it up well.
On the bad points ,
Sign detection works in UK , but I use Waze in auto android , and that has it , and also bleeps when you go over the speed limit.
Yes no knobs for climate control is a pain but you get used to it as normally I set it ( if at all) before I set off , so I'm not fiddling with it whilst driving.
Blind spot lights could be better I personally think the passenger side is ok , but the driver side is not so good. But as I check my side mirrors any way the blind spot lights have not really told me something I didn't already know
Yes I get vibration through accelerator pedal when ICE engaged also , but it's not really a problem.
Yes luggage space is compromised by the battery , but I can get my golf clubs and trolley in there without folding down the seats 😄👍, so it's good enough for me.
When I go camping I will update how it went lol.
My way if thinking was having the phev meant a compromise on the boot , but no range anxiety if I went for an EV , and better economy than buying a diesel / petrol car.

One further point you will have to decide on is charging it. I have found I'm doing more small trips than I thought so I am charging it up every 2- 3 days on the granny charger as I use it in EV mode most of the time. For me it's no problem but it's something to be aware of.
I am starting to leave it in hybrid mode and see how that goes from an economic point of view, so charging should be less frequent.
But I must confess I do like driving in EV as it's so smooth and quiet , and great economy lol
But we all have to make our own decisions on what we want from a car and what compromises we are prepared to make.
Good luck with further testing

Hi Mick and Jem,
Sounds good, thanks for the info, I guess no car is perfect and we get used to
comparing the car we have vs the one we'd like. I'd be using a car like this as much
as possible in EV as that makes the most sense (in fact I can't see why anyone
would buy a PHEV if they didn't plug it in like their mobile phone at night).
I have terrible battery degradation in my current Outlander, otherwise a terrific car.
So will look at the HS PHEV closer now :)

Hi I have a MG EHS for 3 weeks now. I am generally very satisfied with the car. My consumption so far has been very positive. Every weekday I drive about 100 km of which + - 50 km in ev mode, resulting in about 2.7 L / Km.

I'd be using a car like this as much
as possible in EV as that makes the most sense (in fact I can't see why anyone
would buy a PHEV if they didn't plug it in like their mobile phone at night).
In UK a lot of company car drivers are now selecting PHEV as their company cars as these cars only attract 10% benefit in kind. As company cars, fuel is most likely paid for by the employers so they are very unlikely to be using their own electricity to charge their company cars. They will just run it like a petrol/diesel.

In UK a lot of company car drivers are now selecting PHEV as their company cars as these cars only attract 10% benefit in kind. As company cars, fuel is most likely paid for by the employers so they are very unlikely to be using their own electricity to charge their company cars. They will just run it like a petrol/diesel.
Hi Sky0000547
so that could mean in 3 years time , when these people get a new cars , there will be a few PHEVs around , where the ICE has been used , but the battery hardly at all.
I wonder if that would be a good buy ? or i wonder what effect it would have on the battery not using the battery much for those 3 years

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom