Urban vs rural mpkwh

Adi6phil

Established Member
Reaction score
I am puzzled with MGs quote of higher range when doing town driving as my mpkwh rises dramatically if i go for a 30 mile ish drive at higher speeds compared to my usual short 'stop-start' trips to the shops etc .i realise this time of year affects the battery and range with the heater and stuff ,but i feel the difference will be similar if not more in the warmer months ,very much like an ice car would perform urban vs extra urban.

Dont think I qualify for being in warmer climates so I wont answer ...we got the same amount of snow overnight so clearing the car...again

Attachments

• Blue Bob under snow 1.jpg
    Blue Bob under snow 1.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 100
I noticed in the summer my normal, short, 3 mile urban trips, I was getting around 3.5m/kWh and when I went on a run to the coast, I got 4.2m/kWh. I think their high urban figures are based on longer urban journeys.

I got my ZS in October and was initially getting high 3s low 4s .i can't comment on a coastal 80-100 mile trip .thanks again Covid . 4 caravan holidays cancelled in 2020 ,4 booked this year ,i would love to have even one decent coast drive in my ZS

When pottering about town you are using regenerative braking unlike motorway cruising where you just use the energy and don't put anything back.

I have mine in regen 3 all the time ,as i realise no doubt my mkwh would be even lower in 1 or 2

When pottering about town you are using regenerative braking unlike motorway cruising where you just use the energy and don't put anything back.
My trip to the coast was all A roads so regen did come in some times.

Sounds a bit counter intuitive but quite a few people are reporting that using Regen 1 or 2 on the motorway often produces a better mkwh, maybe as you have to do less accelerating. Using Regen 3 in urban can produce high mKWH results but you have to drive extremely carefully and not accelerate too aggressively. Its probably those 20/30mph roads where you can use the regen to slow you down-but hopefully not stop too much.

After 10 years of driving Priuses like a granny, it makes a change in the ZS to be able to sprint from the traffic lights and still be using less fuel. :cool:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom