USB access up at rear view mirror

AussiePete

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve been toying with the idea of installing a USB port up at the rear view mirror/forward facing camera unit to allow me to plug in my dashcam. I’ve been advised that the facelift ZS ICE has this built into the unit (why they didn’t do it on the ZS EV I’ve no idea) and it would be great to have power up there for dashcam etc.

I’m hoping to use something like this from Amazon Ytesky 12V to 5V 3A Dual USB Power Supply Inventor Buck Converter Step Down Module Transformer Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools and hook it into the existing wiring.

Anyone know of a reason that this wouldn’t work or wouldn’t be advisable?

PS - I am aware of hardwiring kits going down the side pillar to the fuse box, just think this is an interesting idea

I get the idea, but you would have to hardwire in a USB socket so why not just do the same to the dashcam.
I hardwired in mine and ran down the A pillar to fuse box and at the same time fitted an auto dimming rear view mirror.
Very happy with both.

20201216_145926.jpg

On the petrol facelift their is a USB fitted on the mirror boss! If you tinker with wiring MG will void the warranty. Better to use a spare fuse in the fuse box and run the wire up the door pillar.

I get the idea, but you would have to hardwire in a USB socket so why not just do the same to the dashcam.
I hardwired in mine and ran down the A pillar to fuse box and at the same time fitted an auto dimming rear view mirror.
Very happy with both.

View attachment 906
Could you share the link to the auto dimming mirror please, I'm on the look out for one. Thanks.

Could you share the link to the auto dimming mirror please, I'm on the look out for one. Thanks.
I just bought a second hand one for £10 off ebay, it was from a rav 4, and adapted it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom