Use EV wall charger as outside plug

Ian Key

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Probably not, but is it possible with an adaptor to use my EV wall charger as an outside socket to plug in a lawnmower etc?

It is, and there are two ways if you have an untethered charge point:
  • Fit a changeover switch to an outdoor socket.
  • Buy a device that emulates the car and makes the circuit live. Some people use these to plug into public charge points although it's against most operators rules.
Both are good as they mean that you have a safe source of power.

I have no connection to the linked company and am using it as an example not a recommendation.

Like @Alb I'd recommend a battery lawnmower!

It is, and there are two ways if you have an untethered charge point:
  • Fit a changeover switch to an outdoor socket.
  • Buy a device that emulates the car and makes the circuit live. Some people use these to plug into public charge points although it's against most operators rules.
Both are good as they mean that you have a safe source of power.

I have no connection to the linked company and am using it as an example not a recommendation.

Like @Alb I'd recommend a battery lawnmower!
Can't see how the pictured adapters work, as there doesn't seem to be enough space for rh EV communication circuitry heeded for the handshake, there's look more like V2L adapters.

I suspect that you are correct, here's a link to the type of device that I meant.

T2 > UK 13A

Note that the "electronics" are contained in the Type 2 plug so there's no "brick" like a pEVSE.

T2%20%3E%2013A%20switch%203.png

Can't see how the pictured adapters work, as there doesn't seem to be enough space for rh EV communication circuitry heeded for the handshake, there's look more like V2L adapters.
I guess the electronics are tiny as there's a citreon one for charging the AMI (which has a EU schuko plug) - I'm not sure how wise it would be to use one as presumably whilst you can trick the chargepoint into thinking you are an EV you wouldn't respond to any requests to reduce load like an actual EV would.

Agreed, but if you keep the load down to sensible levels and use an appropriately fused device so that you aren't relying on a 40A breaker then you should be fine.
A changeover switch and outdoor socket are far cheaper but not portable.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom