Using a Granny Charger.

MichaelJHunt

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just testing out the Granny Charger to make sure it works.

Charging at 2kW. With my 4.2miles/kWh this is charging at about 8.5 miles per hour.

Well impressed with that :)

63AF0EEB-037D-4FC2-BBC5-442727622617.jpeg

Last edited:
Apart from a few free charges at supermarkets, I have been using the granny for the last nine months. I was originally going to use money saved up to install a home charger but a few hefty dental bills due to moving and unable to get an NHS one and a hefty private operation to pay for in the near future, have put paid to being able to afford the installation any time soon!
Made sure that the outside 3-pin socket was fit for heavy duty appliances and that I used a heavy-duty extension before using the granny on a regular basis. Never do more than a 200mile round trip with most journeys far less. The granny will give me about 50miles in an evenings charging so plenty for me as now retired and not using the car too much.

My granny charger is crazy short. I've to pretty much park in beside the front door to reach a plug.

I'm not sure if extension leads are okay with it?

My granny charger is crazy short. I've to pretty much park in beside the front door to reach a plug.

Can you get a waterproof socket installed near where you park?

You can use a good rated ext cord without any problems. Also best to have a water proof socket on it. I have a 15 metre cable picked out for when my car finally arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:

I got this one from Screwfix ……….

MASTERPLUG 13A 1-GANG UNSWITCHED EXTENSION LEAD 10M (44635)

Its £17.64 at the moment. Very good buy. Never use an ordinary extension, this one is heavy-duty. Lots of EV owners have bought it from my extensive reading about the subject.

I've actually ended up with two 7kw chargers on the house. Had one already then got a free one with the MG so put one at the side of the house and one at the front. Will eventually have two EVs.

I was just testing the granny to see if it worked. But will get the extension for any trips to holiday homes etc. Better off having the right thing.

If I get a water proof one that covers the plug. Is it okay if the box with the lights gets wet. Although I'd still put it under the car.

I tend to get 1800 to 1900 watts with my MG branded 10A charger, so about 30% overnight which is plenty enough for me.

I've posted on the other thread on granny charging, but here is my second time, car was at 69% woke up this morning and unplugged it at 89% , so basically charging 20% or 40 miles in the 5 hours cheaper tariff with Octopus Energy.

As long as I can do this consistently this works for me, as my OH doesn't use it long trips. If we put it up tonight we can fully charge it. Wouldn't mind getting a charger in the wall, but how my car parks its about 20m from my CU. Not looking at paying a few thousand to install it right now, I'm sure it will change in winter time 😀

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-213644_MG iSMART.png
    Screenshot_20220810-213644_MG iSMART.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20220811-063103_MG iSMART.png
    Screenshot_20220811-063103_MG iSMART.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
If you want a extension designed with EV granny's in mind (IP66, granny plug compatible, 1.5mm2 cable Vs 1.25mm2 and rated for outdoor use in the cold) then toughleads.co.uk is the place to be.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom