Using BT to call hands free without AC or AA.

NLMGSAN

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Yesterday I experienced something weird with the Samsung connected using BT. I wanted to call my wife so used Hello MG. It found two numbers, both identical, so I chose the first.
It is a mobile number preceeded with a landcode containing a '+' character. The result was that this number was wrong. When I parked the car I saw the landcode was missing. Obviously, the remaining number is faulty.
Is this the same in UK or elsewhere?

To clarify: if the number contains +44 (uk land code), do you also get a remark about an invalid number?

Yes I have this issue too. I changed the number in phone from +44 to 07 and it now says I have 2 numbers to pick on screen even though the other is deleted.. but if I pick the 07 number it works. The 44 7 says invalid. If you work out how to remove the other number from list or get +44 working I'd love to know.

I've got over 350 contacts! And if I cross the border, I need the landcodes. It looks like the MG4 was never meant to leave China... They are really living underneath a Chinese rock.

I will try something else. I will now create a couple of second numbers without the landcode, but under the same name/user. The new one is labelled MG. I will try it tomorrow and keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have this issue too. I changed the number in phone from +44 to 07 and it now says I have 2 numbers to pick on screen even though the other is deleted.. but if I pick the 07 number it works. The 44 7 says invalid. If you work out how to remove the other number from list or get +44 working I'd love to know.
Btw, you might need to disconnect first to update the contact list

Ok. I used my method above. Two versions of the same number within one contact. After disconnect and renewed connect of my phone plus sync of the contacts, a correct number appears. Chosing them manually makes a connection.

However, whereas it previously found the numbers of my wife, now it is totally confused when I say 'call <name wife>. It comes up with two numbers of one contact, but the person's name isn't even remotely simular to that of my wife... 🤬

Anyone has a clue?

Ok. I used my method above. Two versions of the same number within one contact. After disconnect and renewed connect of my phone plus sync of the contacts, a correct number appears. Chosing them manually makes a connection.

However, whereas it previously found the numbers of my wife, now it is totally confused when I say 'call <name wife>. It comes up with two numbers of one contact, but the person's name isn't even remotely simular to that of my wife... 🤬

Anyone has a clue?
I’ve never used the car BT for phone due to the useless pairing issues. I use Apple CarPlay with Siri for voice commands. Always works perfectly, no issues with country codes, and includes voice read out of messages and WhatsApps. In addition I much prefer the Google Maps on CarPlay rather than the MG satnav. Free CarPlay is definitely the main plus point of the MG.

I get your point. But your thinking is solving the problem for MG. Because they sell us faulty software and outdated maps. The Navi doesn't even have the capability of pronouncing road names in my language. So I disable the voice.
But something simple as correctly loading contacts should not be an issue. It just annoys me.

Anyone has a clue?
Yes this is how mine comes up (but actually the right contact).. i think that is just poor voice recognition. I have some contacts it cant find no matter what but i saved wife as "[wifes names] (Wife)" and it manages to find that every time. May need to play about renaming it to an easily recognisable voice name.

But it still gives the two numbers on the screen to pick from before calling. I will try unsyncing and resyncing when i get some spare time, but cant be bothered currently as just have to push the screen once and dont want to cause daily pairing issues etc like i had when first got the car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 517 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back