Using car battery to power home?

dgs99

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have a domestic 18kWh Foxess battery and 5.9kW pv system. There is not much solar generated at present and the battery gets topped up every morning at the 5p tariff which keeps us going for most of the day. I do not do many miles in winter at present and wondering whether it is possible to tap into the car battery to help power the home as well?. There is 60kWh battery sitting idle for most of the time. I have heard of V2G but is there such a thing as V2H (Vehicle to Home)?

Some of the upcoming MG models will have that facility I think, the MarvelR for example.

18kwh would power our house for 3 days when not charging the car. I was looking at a system around 9 or 10 KWh but I guess one the capacity of yours would be good for a heat pump too, something we are also considering.

We have had 3.8kw solar since 2012 and with reduction in bills plus FIT it has more than paid for itself. We are on Octopus Go too.

If you don't mind me asking who supplied and fitted your system?

The ability to export power for any EV would be such a massive win that it could well be cost effective retrofitting the capability into cars that didn't have it. Why invest thousands in a home battery when you already have one sitting idle on your driveway?

Yes we use a heat pump in the summer months to heat a pool. Project Solar did our installation, and although expensive, it seems they gave us a good deal with the Project-EV hom charger!

The ability to export power for any EV would be such a massive win that it could well be cost effective retrofitting the capability into cars that didn't have it. Why invest thousands in a home battery when you already have one sitting idle on your driveway?
My thoughts entirely, but a shame it can't be run with my present model MG-5ev.

It should be noted that cars like the Marvel R are restricted in how much power they can feed into a system. I think the R is 3kw per hour max? which is enough to run the lighting, TVs etc but maybe not for heating and cooking, showers...

It should be noted that cars like the Marvel R are restricted in how much power they can feed into a system. I think the R is 3kw per hour max? which is enough to run the lighting, TVs etc but maybe not for heating and cooking, showers...
Don't think it's designed to be vehicle to grid or connected to the house domestic supply. My understanding is it allows appliances to be connected to it like a lawn mower or below 13 amp appliances when camping for example.

I know the Leaf is capable of vehicle to grid use and Octopus are trialing it with powerloop.

I have a domestic 18kWh Foxess battery and 5.9kW pv system. There is not much solar generated at present and the battery gets topped up every morning at the 5p tariff which keeps us going for most of the day. I do not do many miles in winter at present and wondering whether it is possible to tap into the car battery to help power the home as well?. There is 60kWh battery sitting idle for most of the time. I have heard of V2G but is there such a thing as V2H (Vehicle to Home)?
Not sure about the UK but here in Australia the electricity Network owners won't currently allow this. It's being looked at by some but I think will be a few years away over here. V2L is obviously possible if your car has the capability or you do a DIY upgrade. Cheers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom