Using cigarette lighter to run 12V devices whilst camping

JoJo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello hive mind - hoping someone can advise? The load to discharge cables aren't available for purchase in Australia yet. I am going camping and want to run a 12V fridge, frypan and kettle that has a cigarette lighter attachment. Would anyone have any idea whether these devices would continue to run (fridge mostly) even when the car is not running? And what sort of power usage they would suck from the batteries?? Thanks in advance! Jo

This is for the MG ZS EV 2022.... excuse my ignorance, but does it even have a 12V battery?
Yes and it goes flat if you don't keep it in ready mode just like a ice car without the engine running

I'm anxious about using a non-MG cable in case of damage to the vehicle and not being covered under warranty...
I use a non MG V2L lead and it works fine. Just make sure it's a good quality and not a cheap knock off. I'd avoid AliExpress to be honest.

Which version of car do you have MK1 (with a grill) or MK2 (no front grill)?
I thought that the 2022 model in AUS was the MK1, 2022 in the UK is MK2

MK1 does not support V2L

I made my own discharge cable from a type 2 charge cable, it is only a matter of changing a resistor in the car end plug, and fitting a mains socket to the other end of the cable. It is well documented elsewhere in the forum how to do it, and it works very well.

A pity a cigarette lighter didn't come for the boot, to run a small fridge while en route (ie not camping, parked or V2L, but keeping drinks & food cold while travelling to where3ever) Obviously, this should run off the main battery (not 12v). I wonder if anyone's done this mod?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom