Using Cruise Control

I find ACC on motorways quite frustrating as it almost imperceivably reduces my speed long before I’d consider changing lanes, resulting in me not actually catching the slower moving car!
Going with the flow is better for eeking out more range though, if your in no hurry of course and I find it calming and less stressful too.

Hi guys,
I've never used cruise control in any vehicle before but decided to try it out on my ZS EV last week. I was driving along an A road with a 50 mph speed limit which was a bit bendy at times but nothing that bendy to necessitate not driving at the speed limit. While driving along this road every time I came to a bendy bit the car automatically slowed down, at one point reducing the speed to 40 mph. It certainly was not a comfortable drive. I've looked in the handbook and can't find anything related to this. Has anyone else encountered this and does this mean that the cruise control is really only best used on motorways?

Looking forward to hearing what others think about this. Thank you.

Sue

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I've never used cruise control in any vehicle before but decided to try it out on my ZS EV last week. I was driving along an A road with a 50 mph speed limit which was a bit bendy at times but nothing that bendy to necessitate not driving at the speed limit. While driving along this road every time I came to a bendy bit the car automatically slowed down, at one point reducing the speed to 40 mph. It certainly was not a comfortable drive. I've looked in the handbook and can't find anything related to this. Has anyone else encountered this and does this mean that the cruise control is really only best used on motorways?

Sue
Hi Sue,
You will find that if you turn the steering beyond a certain angle while cruise control is on the drive cuts out [even at low speeds]. For example if you come off of a roundabout and resume cruise control before you straighten the wheels the drive will cut out [restrict the speed] until the front wheels are almost straight. Probably a safety feature to stop you losing control on turns. If this annoys you you just have to press the accelerator pedal and it overrides the cruise and will keep your speed up.

Either change lanes earlier or change the distance to car in front that it slows you via the stalk.
As the distance to vehicle in front before slowing varies according to speed, if on a motorway you are getting so close before changing lanes, perhaps the former may be the better option. :)
@AndEV I don't know how the ACC is set up on your Volvo but with the ZS you can set one of three distances to follow vehicles in front and each of these settings are speed dependent ie. on any of theses distance setting the faster you are travelling the greater the distance before the car will begin adjusting its speed. On the Motorway i generally stick with the default setting but on A-Roads I find the middle setting more like the distance at which I would follow. In crawling traffic using ACC as Traffic Jam Assist I'll often change it to the closest following distance.

Regards to your current practice @AndEV of using CC on motorways and changing lane there are two ways with the ZS ACC to achieve this:

1, with ACC selected as you approach and the ZS begins to back off power, indicate your lane change ( if you don't the car will chime to remind you) and make the lane change after which the ZS's ACC will bring you back to your chosen speed.

2, Select the shortest range on the ACC stalk (rotate the ring on the stalk towards you and release twice) and then drive as if on regular CC since the active range will at motorway speeds be closer than you would want to get safely without slowing or changing lane.

Side note. I've spoken to so many drivers of cars of all types who have never used their CC ever the whole time they have owned their cars so I suspect that for many on this forum this whole subject is academic which is is a shame since proper use of ACC makes medium to long drives so much more relaxing and therefore less tiring and safer as a consequence - hence the 5* rating for the ZSEV over the 3* rating for the ZS ICE.

Hi guys,

Sue
We have had an HS PHEV for a few months now which does the same. I find this a bit annoying but can minimise the problem by switching off Lane Keep Assist then straight lining the corners as much as possible. I'm not a fan of Lane Keep anyway except when I'm tired, or when driving in the rain at night time when Lane Keep can see the white lines much better than my eyes.

We have had an HS PHEV for a few months now which does the same. I find this a bit annoying but can minimise the problem by switching off Lane Keep Assist then straight lining the corners as much as possible. I'm not a fan of Lane Keep anyway except when I'm tired, or when driving in the rain at night time when Lane Keep can see the white lines much better than my eyes.
Personally, I'd highly recommend turning off the Lane Keep Assist as it is far too aggressive and my wife's description of it was most apt when she said it feels like I'm driving and keep hitting black ice. I've turned it off in the Driving Aids system menu. The MG Pilot is an altogether different kettle of fish and I love it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom