Using granny charger at holiday let

smokie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
This had crossed my min before and has just been mentioned in another post. If you were renting a flat would you feel OK charging your EV using the granny charger, without declaring it to the renter or paying any extra? I only ask as I will be driving to Edinburgh for the Fringe and we're in a ground floor flat, I suspect with unmetered electricity.

We won't be using the car a lot when we're there but it'd be good to arrive empty and depart full, but I feel it's only fair to mention it to the owner seeing as that's probably £20 - £30 worth at the moment.

This had crossed my min before and has just been mentioned in another post. If you were renting a flat would you feel OK charging your EV using the granny charger, without declaring it to the renter or paying any extra? I only ask as I will be driving to Edinburgh for the Fringe and we're in a ground floor flat, I suspect with unmetered electricity.

We won't be using the car a lot when we're there but it'd be good to arrive empty and depart full, but I feel it's only fair to mention it to the owner seeing as that's probably £20 - £30 worth at the moment.
Edinburgh will have multiple public charging opportunities. Better to stick to those.

If in somewhere out of reasonable reach of a public service, then it would only be right to consult with the landlord and offer appropriate recompense.
Yes indeed, in fact the girl we rented from in Oban recently was more than happy to help with power if we’d needed it She and her husband were very enthusiastic about the EV idea. To the point that when we left they announced that they are looking into installing three chargers. They have a beautiful place - Aspen Lodge in Glen Cruitten just outside Oban - with three highly recommended rooms.
as it happened we got a charge on the last day down at the brand new Podpoint at Tesco’s so didn’t need to plug in through her window.

Yeah - get a ChargePlace Scotland card & app, charging should still be free to use. Some decent hubs available too at airport, etc
Thanks for that. A faq on the website says "To access charge points on the ChargePlace Scotland network, you can either download our free ChargePlace Scotland app (iOS and Android) or order an access card, at a one off fee of £10 per card. You can then use your access card to charge your EV for free at a high majority of the charge points on our network."

So do I need the card or not, ideally for free charging.

Thanks for that. A faq on the website says "To access charge points on the ChargePlace Scotland network, you can either download our free ChargePlace Scotland app (iOS and Android) or order an access card, at a one off fee of £10 per card. You can then use your access card to charge your EV for free at a high majority of the charge points on our network."

So do I need the card or not, ideally for free charging.
Generally, either option works. Occasionally, one to the two will fail - if using frequently, better to have both. If visiting, free app should be enough.

Yes indeed, in fact the girl we rented from in Oban recently was more than happy to help with power if we’d needed it She and her husband were very enthusiastic about the EV idea. To the point that when we left they announced that they are looking into installing three chargers. They have a beautiful place - Aspen Lodge in Glen Cruitten just outside Oban - with three highly recommended rooms.
as it happened we got a charge on the last day down at the brand new Podpoint at Tesco’s so didn’t need to plug in through her window.
I forgot to mention earlier that the “Four Oaks” B&B establishment a couple of miles round the corner in Glen Cruitten, Oban is also switched on 🤪 they have a charger which is actually shown on Zap Map.
So this wonderful electrical motion we love is picking up pace all over.

In general I think you probably spend most of the day away from an airbnb type place - only coming back to sleep. Therefore even with charging the total electric bill will probably less than a normal home and so not a problem.

With prices going crazy like their are now I would reconsider that a bit - the cost of utilities will have been evaluated and incorporated into their prices so its more down to if you feel like you would be using more than "normal" or not.

In general I think you probably spend most of the day away from an airbnb type place - only coming back to sleep. Therefore even with charging the total electric bill will probably less than a normal home and so not a problem.

With prices going crazy like their are now I would reconsider that a bit - the cost of utilities will have been evaluated and incorporated into their prices so its more down to if you feel like you would be using more than "normal" or not.
My angle is that it’s better to enquire before plugging Granny in and offer to buy a bit of power than :-
A- chance someone discovering the cable by tripping over it through the evening/ night
Or B - finding a charred plug and socket ( or worse, a fire) and trying to explain it to the owner / their insurers if the plug wiring was old or loose and overheating.

Is that timidity or honesty ??

My angle is that it’s better to enquire before plugging Granny in and offer to buy a bit of power than :-
A- chance someone discovering the cable by tripping over it through the evening/ night
Or B - finding a charred plug and socket ( or worse, a fire) and trying to explain it to the owner / their insurers if the plug wiring was old or loose and overheating.

Honesty, definitely. Best policy every time;)(y)

I guess it depends on what sort of place it is but I personally wouldn't worry about A because there wouldn't be strangers just walking around.

B - honesty is the best policy. I hope morr tourist rentals will add home chargers so this isn't even an issue but I know that's a long road.

On both of my last 2 holidays I have requested permission from the owner offering at the same time to let him have an account of kwh drawn at the end of the holiday.
In 2020, before lockdown, I gave my account to the French owner and he let me have it for free. In Devon last year the owner said just leave the money in the kitchen when you go.
Honesty definitely the best policy and no guilty conscience afterwards.

I guess it depends on what sort of place it is but I personally wouldn't worry about A because there wouldn't be strangers just walking around.
It was more the proprietor or their children or animals tripping on the cable that I was meaning - especially if it’s a remote farm location etc. but it’s all hypothetical anyway. And it would be worse if we had been found siphoning fuel from their vehicles 😜😜

As with most things. Some asshat will take the piss and ruin it for everyone.

Ask and offer to pay. Its not too hard to conclude an EV chugging down 60kw of juice at 35p (£21) is beyond the scope the renter had in mind for general use during the rental period.

Check with the owner if it's OK with them. No probs

As with most things. Some asshat will take the piss and ruin it for everyone.

Ask and offer to pay. Its not too hard to conclude an EV chugging down 60kw of juice at 35p (£21) is beyond the scope the renter had in mind for general use during the rental period.
I am asshat !
I have used the granny for a few hours whilst staying in a caravan on the large commercial chain sites. Not left overnight just for a few hours in the evening when we got back to add a few miles.
I didn't ask and didn't leave anything.
Feel free to call me a bad person.

A few hours isn't taking the piss imo. A full 60kw at a holiday let that hasn't provided a dedicated socket however... Also at caravan site you're usually paying extra for electric hookup.

As I said, someone will take the piss and ruin it for those that are sensible.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom