Using phone in the car, help pleeeease!

Katherine Holland

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am not very technically minded but I would like to be able to use my phone in the car. Does it always need to be plugged in, or is it supposed to connect with bluetooth technology. It is a Huawei phone.

Maybe I need to keep trying. To use android auto it keeps asking to be plugged in but I would have thought that Bluetooth should take over. I'm rather bemused at the moment.

Android Auto automatically connects the phone to the car via Bluetooth. Your music etc is handled by the cable but calls are streamed via Bluetooth.
If you turn your Bluetooth off you'll find it gets turned on straight away again if you've connected to Android Auto.

I am not very technically minded but I would like to be able to use my phone in the car. Does it always need to be plugged in, or is it supposed to connect with bluetooth technology. It is a Huawei phone.
Hi Katherine, If you mean use your phone for phone calls or to stream music you need to pair your phone with the car via bluetooth in the settings of the car. Then whenever you use the car your phone will connect automatically and you can take calls etc. If you want to use android auto there is no wireless connection for this and your phone needs to be plugged in to the usb port in the car. 🙂

I’m an Apple user but many on here use AA for satnav apps etc. It depends on your needs.

Personally I don't like satnavs in general on in car screens, they are just in the wrong place.

I am still happiest with my phone mounted at bottom right of windscreen using a satnav on that.

Yes I think I might prefer that too. I'm wondering what else I might need Android Auto for.
That is a good question.
I haven't found much use for it - never had it on a car before ! I have connected and used it to play music from my phone, but can do that with Bluetooth anyway.
I'm sure others will be able to tell us what they use it for and maybe it might just be the bees knees, the best thing since sliced bread and I'm missing out on something totally obvious :)

@Katherine Holland & @Gomev some of this has been answered previously but here’s a summary

Bluetooth connection allows you to play music and make calls, but does require you to operate the phone by either using the handset or the Touchscreen

Android Auto requires your phone to be connected via a USB cable and in addition to the Bluetooth functions above you can control the phone by pressing the talk button on your steering wheel and issue commands to make calls and navigate. Basically you can issue any Google Assistant command to navigate, make calls, send & read text messages, etc. Have a look at this thread for some of the commands you can do Hey Google, navigate to my nearest charging point

I’m a big fan of Android Auto, makes the hands free operation of many functions very easy

Thank you for your help, I was just trying to work out how to use the steering wheel controls! I might do better with voice command..... So much to learn!!

Plugged in and using android auto I used it yesterday to switch on the hot-spot on my phone so my granddaughter could use her tablet to go on kids YouTube and more often or not you don't need to say hey Google, I just pressed the voice button and said "hot-spot on" and it switched it on. So definitely useful while driving

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom