Using Voice Commands

BazzaBoy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I own an MG ZS EV standard range Essence in Western Australia. I am trying to figure out how to get the car to do stuff like "open sunroof" or "roll down driver side window" using voice commands. I am not talking about Google voice commands.

Is that possible in my car? I think the UK equivalent of my car would be the Trophy, not the Trophy Connect.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In the UK it was only the Trophy Connect that supported all the voice commands, which is presumably your issue. You should still be able to voice command your phone though; so the google assistant with android auto and siri with apple car play.

In Trophy Connect in UK:
Press voice control button on the steering wheel or say "hello MG".
Nicely robotic voice will announce that it is there... Quite creepy...
Voice commands fairly limited. Can open/close skyroof. I don't think it can control windows.

Was using it to control and adjust Air Con.

It does work on the Trophy Connect. But you have to use the exact words. Its not like eg Alexa which will interpret what you are asking. Because of this (ie I forget what exact words except the 'I want to see the sky' one) I dont use it. I use the connect functions really as a back up should I need to use an app to pay a public charger and my mobile network is weak and won't connect. And for traffic updates if occasionally using the cars satnav. I would use my TomTom for longer journeys. I can't be fussed with Android Auto etc. I am used to TomTom and how it works.

Oh okay, I have a Trophy and I have always wondered why voice commands don't work. Now it makes sense because only Trophy Connect can do it. I do blame the sales agent that he didn't tell me much about the features of the Trophy Connect. All he said was Trophy will be perfect, Trophy Connect is a waste of money. Now I do feel I should have paid a little extra to get the Connect. Would have got wifi hotspot in the car, voice commands.

If you have to press a button before speaking, may as well just press the button you need to press 😉
You dont actually have to press a button. You just say "Hey MG". It then responds that it is listening, you then give your voice command, using the exact phrase required. I use voice commands all the time in the house with Alexa on Echo devices (turning on lights, fans, thermostats up or down etc). It just does not work as well in the car, so I don't bother.

You dont actually have to press a button. You just say "Hey MG". It then responds that it is listening, you then give your voice command, using the exact phrase required. I use voice commands all the time in the house with Alexa on Echo devices (turning on lights, fans, thermostats up or down etc). It just does not work as well in the car, so I don't bother.
I have used Voice command sparingly but it can open and close sky roof, open windows, turn heating up and down, control music volume and access telephone. Not sure what else it can do.

Is there a list of the ZS EV Trophy Connect commands anywhere? I have seen those for the older Asian version I think it was but I can't get any of them to work for me.

The robotic voice is really quite bad almost a retro 1990's childs toy retro. Howver, I can see the use of being able to control the windows, skylight, and heater as quite usefull.

I think I read somewhere that android auto can do the same but I can't seem to get it working. Any suggestions?

Is there a list of the ZS EV Trophy Connect commands anywhere? I have seen those for the older Asian version I think it was but I can't get any of them to work for me.

The robotic voice is really quite bad almost a retro 1990's childs toy retro. Howver, I can see the use of being able to control the windows, skylight, and heater as quite usefull.

I think I read somewhere that android auto can do the same but I can't seem to get it working. Any suggestions?
Hi evcog
This link was in another message on the forum. Sorry but not sure how many of then work for the ZS EV.

Thanks for the link jusher. I spent some time this morning going through some of these commands in the car. Goodness you need to br precise. I also don't think it liked my accent, or voice ( I don't think I have an accent, very middle english, and properly plumb) however it eventually trained ME on how to say things.
I am going to have to learn these expressions like a Shakesperian actor in rep.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom