Hikispray

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello, have anybody tried to get 3-phase from the car? I was looking under the bonnet/hood a couple of days ago and noticed it said "AC/DC OUTPUT1 : 250-500v 24A MAX" and "AC/DC OUTPUT2 : 250-500V 32A MAX" on the onboard charger/inverter.
So that got me thinking that it's maybe possible to get 3-phase out from the car.
:unsure:

Attachments

• charger_inverter_MG5.jpg
    charger_inverter_MG5.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 42
Welcome to the forum.

"AC/DC OUTPUT2 : 250-500V 32A MAX"
I think that's just an obtuse way of saying that with up to 32A AC input, you could get up to 32A output into a very low voltage battery (250V DC). To overcome losses, the AC input would have to be at the high end (265V AC). None of those specifications suggests V2L to me, AC output yes but 250V minimum? Maybe they mean 250-500V at the crest of the sine waves, dividing by root 2, that would be around 177 - 356 VAC. Yet it seems to be set to 220 VAC, despite the hardware being capable of more common voltages. Presumably, the firmware is requesting 220 V.

Edit: Thinking about this some more, I'd imagine that 3-phase output would require more hardware for a single phase on-board charger, whereas outputting single phase AC "only" requires more agile firmware in the charger.

Others have tried and failed to get 3-phase output from the V2L port. But most if not all would have had single phase on-board chargers. Being in Europe, you may well have a 3-phase OBC, and that could make a big difference here.

Last edited:
Or maybe that sticker is designed for several different models of On Board Charger, or several options for the same basic model. And they are supposed to tick one of the input lines and one of the output lines, or cross one out. Though neither of the output options makes sense with the lower input option.

And as you know, the sticker is a substantial part of the cost of the on-board charger, hence this sensible cost cutting measure... 🤔

Edit: See also this post:

Last edited:
Or maybe that sticker is designed for several different models of On Board Charger, or several options for the same basic model. And they are supposed to tick one of the input lines and one of the output lines, or cross one out. Though neither of the output options makes sense with the lower input option.

And as you know, the sticker is a substantial part of the cost of the on-board charger, hence this sensible cost cutting measure... 🤔

Edit: See also this post:
Hello

Well I imagine the software controls what the car gives out, but I was just thinking about if the hardware actually could give 3-phase. The car happily accepts 3-phase charging, I know that the ones in UK only have 1-phase. So was thinking if the ones in the European continent would be able to give 3-phase.I don't really have a use for it now, but in the future maybe. Would be a nice feature.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom