V2L to charge off-grid home battery system

camoffgrid

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I have an off-grid system with generator backup through a 15a input socket.

I am wondering if the V2L function on the MG4 EV would allow me to input into my battery if an electrician was able to put a 10a input into my system.

I have asked my electrician and system installer and they say it theoretically possible but hoping to find someone who has already done this or knows exactly what would be involved.

Just to clarify, this is not V2H technology im referring to as that tech is built around grid connected systems within the energy market.

If I could do this, the car would pay for itself very quickly by decreasing generator fuel costs, so keen for any relevant information.

Thanks!

Hi Camoffgrid and welcome to the forum your question in regards to the V2L on the MG4 is
Interesting and I am not in any way technical qualified to answer it but the V2L output can be used to recharge another EV or also some house appliances but it is limited to around 2/3 KW several people on YouTube have shown ways to do this to the home to other forms of electronic powered transport such as cars and E-bikes or scooters so I don’t see why you would not be able to recharge a home battery in the same way but do remember to set a low limit in the MG4 discharge setting. So give it a try and I wish you the best of luck with it, and do please let jus know how you get on.
Les .

Upvote 0
Hi Camoffgrid and welcome to the forum your question in regards to the V2L on the MG4 is
Interesting and I am not in any way technical qualified to answer it but the V2L output can be used to recharge another EV or also some house appliances but it is limited to around 2/3 KW several people on YouTube have shown ways to do this to the home to other forms of electronic powered transport such as cars and E-bikes or scooters so I don’t see why you would not be able to recharge a home battery in the same way but do remember to set a low limit in the MG4 discharge setting. So give it a try and I wish you the best of luck with it, and do please let jus know how you get on.
Les .
Thanks for the response Les.

Do you know if there is a spec sheet specifically about the V2L output somewhere I can provide to my electrician?

Upvote 0

Do you know if there is a spec sheet specifically about the V2L output somewhere I can provide to my electrician?
I think it's on the label on the inverter in the car, it is in the ZS. The output from the car will be AC from the inverter and you would then have to convert it back to DC and to the correct voltage for the batteries. It might be easier to run some sockets off the car for loads under 3kW in the house (that's what I do).

Upvote 0

No Im sorry I don’t but if you search for
V2L Test started by stageshoot there you will find a thread with more information about for you as I said before I was under the impression 2/3 kw but others have pushed it more according to that thread
As I also said I’m not qualified in any way and what Gadjet Geet as pointed out above I agree with it is AC output but lots of people here in the UK charge there home batteries overnight on cheaper rate mains electricity which is also AC so there is some way of doing it for sure I hope Gadget Geet agrees on that he also says there is a label on the inverter of the ZS but does not say what it says all I know is I have run a kettle and 2kw heater not both at the same time I must add from it on our MG4 without any issues
Les

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1691928985603.png

Maximum 22 amps at 230 volts. That's 5kW but only as a momentary surge. I've run a 3kW kettle off it no problem. It also handles individually a microwave, an air fryer, a George Forman grill. Oh, and it did each of these whilst running the freezer when we had a power cut.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom