Vehicle tax rates for the PHEV

Moog42

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
So I've just got my first tax reminder through the post as our PHEV approaches a year old... I know the tax rates changed in 2017 (well I do know), but hadn't connected this to our new car as we went from a £0 Nissan LEAF to the MG. I'm somewhat astounded that the tax is listed as £145 for the year when it only emits 41g/CO2. For comparison my 10 year old Skoda Octavia Diesel is only £30 to tax. I rang the DVLA and they said it was banded now on the cars price, but this just feels completely the wrong way round when that's only £20 less than the normal full petrol HS. Is this right?

You’ll find that it’s also gone up to £155 with the recent budget. There was mention of it on the bottom of my form 🙄

I agree, the price hike is shocking !.
They have re-banded a LOT of the rates in the most recent budget !.
I just find it really strange how they have grouped cars together now ?.
I had my first PHEV in 2015 and the road fund licence was zero.
Now the MG HS PHEV sit's in the same band as a oil burner, how does that work ???.
Basically, if your not driving a full BEV, then your getting whacked for something.
I have no doubt in my mind at all, that they will change completely again as more EV's come on-line.

+1
P/X'd my 6 year old 27k miles 1.4 TSI Octavia for the MG, still wondering if I've done the right thing. That did about 50-55 mpg on a distance trip, is £30 tax and had much more room inside and far more in the boot. Down side was the torsion bar rear suspension and general cabin noise - wind and tyre, and oh yeah, turbo actuators x 4 replaced and a complete turbo unit. Luckily I had bought extended warranties.

+1
P/X'd my 6 year old 27k miles 1.4 TSI Octavia for the MG, still wondering if I've done the right thing. That did about 50-55 mpg on a distance trip, is £30 tax and had much more room inside and far more in the boot. Down side was the torsion bar rear suspension and general cabin noise - wind and tyre, and oh yeah, turbo actuators x 4 replaced and a complete turbo unit. Luckily I had bought extended warranties.
With all that said, I bet the road tax on NEW Octavia would not be £30 though !.
The banding now is completely bonkers.
You have huge group of cars all lumped together, petrol and derv and PHEV’s !.
When I had my VW Golf PHEV back in 2015 it was zero rated road tax.
They have just manipulated and grouped cars together in order to grab more revenue in my option.

Thanks for your replies all, it seems a right mess of a system now, and I do wonder if I should have just bought a (much cheaper) diesel SUV if the government cares so little about us forking out for a PHEV to lower emissions. I do like the MG, but I could have bought a decent low mileage Volvo XC90 D5 for the same money and tax band. sigh

Well at least we have a 7 year warranty I guess!

The new road fund licence banding is crazy and is just a money making exercise IMO.
My wife purchased a new Fiat 500 petrol lounge model, back in 2016.
The road tax was rated at £20 per year, set against the emissions figure set at that time.
That very same car, with the same emission figures is still on sale today.
The road tax has now increased to roughly £155 ( If I have read the banding correctly ).
Same car, same emission figure, but a massive hike in the cost ???????.
You have petrol / derv and hybrid models all grouped in the same cost band.
This makes the system a complete and utter farce !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom