I'm quite happy (previous ZS, now 2023 FL). I switch on heating with A/C (no external air source) set low fan & temp at 19c which works ok. And yes I switch it off/on constantly. I also noticed with a friends (non EV) new car similar demisting issues so I can only conclude new car syndrome.. Bring back quarter lights!

i drive an MG5 LR pre-facelift.
in the recent cold damp weather, all the windows have been steaming up quickly.
Wiping them with a variety of cloths & sponges mostly just smears them.
The only thing to work is using the windscreen fan, but once i turn that off it steams & smears again quite quickly.
i have tried at various temperatures, with Eco on and off, with air-con on and off, & nothing seems to work.
On a long drive, high heat & high fan really saps the battery.
What is the optimum settings to clear the condensation efficiently?
If the materials in the car are damp or wet this may make condensation worse.Difgicukt to dry.One tip is to try and keep your vehicle parked in the sun whenever you can and if safe open the windows on sunny days.
Also if removable carpets are damp dry them out.

Speaking to a guy while charging today . He has the same issue . He drives a Mercedes . The problem is universal it would seem

Thanks for that answer - though it doesn't contain much that's new for folk who've been driving EVs for a while (please don't assume that new to this forum or to driving the MG5 equates to new to EVs... ). It doesn't really address the original question, which was about how to get the best and perhaps most efficient windscreen demist out of the AC configuration on the MG5.
I was not aware that there was anything in my post that assumed you were new to EVs, if there is I apologise but please point it out. Also I have pointed out the best way to demist the car, but that method is not acceptable to you as in your terms is not the most efficient in cost.

But actually... given that you've raised it: compare the maths. I'm content that keeping the AC on for a few seconds every now and again is enough to keep my MG5 windscreen safely mist free in winter. Keeping your AC on all the time incurs a 15 mile penalty over a 200 mile charge (your figures). Over a typical 11k annual mileage that's 825 miles lost that you could have had from your charges. Assuming conservative 10p/ mile running costs (though also noting that most of that loss will probably occur on longer trips and get replaced using more expensive public chargers), that's a rough £82.50 annual equivalent.
Of course, I don't and you won't get that full saving, because I do switch the AC on some of the time.
Your assumptions on cost per mile are based on the majority (most) of driving being over long distances. The majority of my driving is not over long distances and do not require more expensive public charging. I don't think I'm too different to the majority but perhaps over 50%, hence most, of your charging is on the road at expensive chargers. So in my case, your 825 miles lost at a conservative rate of 3.5m/kWh charging at home would be approx £17.70.

Sometimes I have to, to deal with the wet dog in the back :). But I'm also thinking about what I can do with even a £40 annual return from just tapping my AC button a few times on a trip? I'm looking forward to a round of drinks or a gig ticket on the saving, though others are welcome to keep their AC on all the time if they'd rather pay that money straight to Gridserve and Co instead.
My £17.70 would just about buy a small round of drinks once a year you are quite correct, but I'm not sure it would extend to a gig ticket.

My general observation on driving most EVs and heavy hybrids is that they do allow you to make small efficiencies, and each small efficiency adds up. Drive them like an ICE car, with an engine and all of the systems on all the time, and you will use more power than you need to. Drive them the way they allow you to, and you can save a decent amount in aggregate on fuel costs, without any hardship or real reduction in performance.
We all have our own priorities and differing circumstances and so it's no surprise that we all have differing solutions or attitudes towards running costs.

My observations which differ from yours clearly, are that my £17.70 spread over a year, yes I have AC on when it's occasionally hot too is about £1.50 a month. I can't even buy a coffee for that. So call me profligate if you like but I splash the cash on AC.

I should also add that my circumstances are that I don't do 11k a year, I charge mostly at home, with long trips requiring expensive charging 2 or 3 or 4 times a year and I don't have the AC on when it's not needed, that wonderful Goldilocks time, so that £17.70 is probably an exaggeration of my costs.

Of course I have already said that everybody's circumstances are different and these are my observations which will differ from yours and others. Having spent a rather large amount of money on a car, either upfront or monthly, however a car is paid for, I'm not overly bothered about splurging an extra £1 or so a month on AC comfort. I'd even pay that bit extra if I have to charge on the road occasionally.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom