Video playback on the infotainment system

Pwlcarz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi, I have an HS PHEV.
Has anyone managed to get video playback to work?
Just out of curiousity I tried this the other day, had 3 video files (avi) on a USB stick inserted in to port 2. Audio play but screen displays a message about ensuring the vehicle is parked and systems are off. Obviously you need to have the system in standby mode to get power to the infotainment system but it seems to think that I'm driving when I'm not.
Brought it to tge attention of my MG service Manager yesterday but he too was puzzled .
Anyone had any success with this?

Cheers

In the UK the Construction and Use Regs (109) make it unlawful to have a televison or 'cinematograhic apparatus' in the drivers eyeline that's capable of displaying anything other than information:

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

.... so I imagine the software won't allow it. (The 360 camera switches itself off above a certain speed).

On my old 64 reg Jaguar xf you could play videos as long as the ignition was in the 'auxiliary ' position. i.e. infotainment on but no starting possible.

Have the regulations changed since then? It would seem to be no safety threat if the function only worked after a single press of the start button when the drive system is inactive.

*whispers: I have seen video playback set as disabled on my EHS in the engineering mode.... Maybe enable it.....

On my old 64 reg Jaguar xf you could play videos as long as the ignition was in the 'auxiliary ' position. i.e. infotainment on but no starting possible.

Have the regulations changed since then? It would seem to be no safety threat if the function only worked after a single press of the start button when the drive system is inactive.

Yes, they have changed. Causing massive headaches in the blue light community around deployment to incidents via mobile data terminal installations. It also manifests in what you can and can't do in Google Drive, like voice only searching om maps when you're movng.

There's always going to be someone who wants to get around it, (see previous post) so it's probably best left off completely.

Yes, I was aware a screen (video) could not be viewed by the driver whilst driving, just not sure why it couldn't be viewed if the vehicle was stopped and parked?

I had an Audi TT with an after-market entertainment system that could show video whilst the engine was stopped and key in the AUX position, as soon as you turned the key to start, the video stopped.
Seems a sensible solution.

Hi,
I was curious about the video capabilities too and thought they would be handy while waiting at pick ups etc. I loaded a few MP4s onto a USB, and hey presto, car on Ready and in Park, worked a treat! I did notice it didn't read my .avi files, perhaps that's the issue?

Hi,
I was curious about the video capabilities too and thought they would be handy while waiting at pick ups etc. I loaded a few MP4s onto a USB, and hey presto, car on Ready and in Park, worked a treat! I did notice it didn't read my .avi files, perhaps that's the issue?

Interesting - maybe a format issue then.

Hi all,
Well, an update to my original post about viewing video files in an HS.

Firstly, I realised that the files I was trying g to view were all either .MP4 or .MKV files (both types play audio but not video either with the system in 'standby' or on - 'system ready'.
So I converted 1 files to .AVI format (as it happens, Bad Boys for Life!!!), and tried playing the file in 'standby' mode. Same issue as before, a warning message display the the car must be parked with the handbrake on (which it was).

I then pressed the engine start button to go into 'system ready' mode and lo and behold, the video played on the screen!

Pressing engine start again turned the system off (as expected). Pressing it again to go into 'standby' and the file played the audio track only Pressing again to go into 'system ready' and the video played.

Seems to be the complete opposite of what I expected and completely illegal!

MG, you have a problem!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom