Vital equipment for charging in the UK

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV

Good morning everyone, just sat in my car this early morning getting a little energy topup at my local carpark. It suddenly occured to me that the one piece of equipment I had forgotten to purchase was probably the most important for any EV driver who wishes to charge in the UK.
NOT type 2 lead, nor a ZapMap, not even a book to read if you have to stay with the car while it charges.

No the most important item neccessary in each EV boot, trunk, or frunk, is a TOWEL. Why does it allways seem to rain when I'm filling up. The cable gets wet, is covered in wet leaves, feels freezing and gets the hands filthy.

A towel is my next purchase then. Followed by a new umbrella, possible wellingtons, oh and a wet suit.....

Last edited:

Good morning everyone, just sat in my car this early mirning getting a little energy topup at my local carpark. It suddenly occured to me that the one piece of equipment I had forgotten to purchase was probably the most important for any EV driver who wishes to charge in the UK.
NOT type 2 lead, nor a ZapMap, not even a book to read if you have to stay with the car while it charges.

No the most important item neccessary in each EV boot, trunk, or frunk, is a TOWEL. Why does it allways seem to rain when I'm filling up. The cable gets wet, is covered in wet leaves, feels freezing and gets the hands filthy.

A towel is my next purchase then. Followed by a new umbrella, possible wellingtons, oh and a wet suit.....
This is one of the reasons I did not favour going for a untethered wall box at home to be honest.
At least with a tethered unit, is saves this problem at home, unless you have the luxury of owning two type 2 cables of course.
After charging last night, my tethered cable is soaking wet, but I just unplug and hang it over a bracket in the garage, with the charging gun facing in a downwards direction.
My type 2 public charging cable, which has had extremely little use, is coiled around my space saver wheel under the boot cover.
I don’t think it has seen a water 💦 as of yet.
It is only there as a back up service TBH.

Last edited:

Good morning everyone, just sat in my car this early morning getting a little energy topup at my local carpark. It suddenly occured to me that the one piece of equipment I had forgotten to purchase was probably the most important for any EV driver who wishes to charge in the UK.

LOL funny enough i have had a towel in all my cars even the petrol. For use on the car or people.

This is one of the reasons I did not favour going for a untethered wall box at home to be honest.
At least with a tethered unit, is saves this problem at home, unless you have the luxury of owning two type 2 cables of course.
After charging last night, my tethered cable is soaking wet, but I just unplug and hang it over a bracket in the garage, with the charging gun facing in a downwards direction.
My type 2 public charging cable, which has had extremely little use, is coiled around my space saver wheel under the boot cover.
I don’t think it has seen a water 💦 as of yet.
It is only there as a back up service TBH.
Good point but I'd have to buy another cable when I need to charge when I'm out and about

Favouring a tethered unit means that your home lead is fixed to the wall box, so it is always where you expect it to be 🤣.
With a untethered unit, and only one cable you run the risk of arriving at a destination charger, to find that you have left your only type 2 cable hanging over the wall box at home - Dooh !.
Unfortunately you can only reduce the risk of this type of thing occurring, if you have two leads.
My type 2 cable never leaves the boot, unless I need to charge on the move.

Made me think since buying the OHME I must have three leads - two spare - eBay here we come!

I was really lucky as I had asked my dealer if the car came with a type 2 lead. They said no but offered to find the price of an MG branded one. I had already seen the very expensive price of the MGtype 2 lead and declined. So bought one from Amazon which arrived one day before the car delivery. When I checked the new car they had put an MG branded type 2 lead in anyway.
I wasn't upset that I have spent out on another lead. No, I now have a spare which will stay indoors unless its really needed or I manage to get a Home charger.

Totally agree, any hoopy frood should know where their towel is.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom