Voltage

Eckmash

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Another one about battery voltage. Just watched the podcast re voltage. When fully charged and balanced mine reads 456 volts. I also noticed that the Chorley dealer stated that it should be 449 volts and that the latest software was introduced on January 18th. I collected my car on January 4th 2021 so obviously the car has not been updated even though I was told that there were no more updates available. I have met owners stating that even when fully charged the newest update did still allow some regen braking and mine does not.
I get the feeling that I do not have the latest software update and yes I do have the comfort 2 update but why 456 volts and no regen when fully charged?

Another one about battery voltage. Just watched the podcast re voltage. When fully charged and balanced mine reads 456 volts. I also noticed that the Chorley dealer stated that it should be 449 volts and that the latest software was introduced on January 18th. I collected my car on January 4th 2021 so obviously the car has not been updated even though I was told that there were no more updates available. I have met owners stating that even when fully charged the newest update did still allow some regen braking and mine does not.
I get the feeling that I do not have the latest software update and yes I do have the comfort 2 update but why 456 volts and no regen when fully charged?
The BMS system had some issues; you have have read about these, anyway the latest BMS from what we believe have the lower and upper battery capacity moved, 1 to help protect the battery and 2 allow Regen a little earlier...I would suggest you call you dealer and ask for them to apply the latest BMS when you can, but I would see this as critical if you range is still okay.

I agree - It looks like you are running on the original OEM 456 Volts after a full charge.
You also have the “Comfort 2” that SOME cars where troubled by the “Buggy” software update.
If this helps, my car was collected on the 6th Jan 2020.
It received the small BMS update that allowed “Off Peak” delayed charging via my dumb Rolec wall box.
The car was running on the OEM software with a voltage of 456 after a full charge.
It then had the “Comfort 2” update done around October 2020 BEFORE the start of the “Buggy” software problems.
This update had no bad affect of the running / range of the car.
Just to note, the car would NOT commence a charge with the car unlocked though.
No big issue, but worth noting.
The range / charging of the car was fine.
The car was submitted for its first service in Jan 2021 and things went a little “Pear Shaped” while in for work and the car was declared dead at the dealership after the work.
Long story, but as a result of the issue caused by the dealer, I then received the car back three days latter with the NEW - BMS update.
My car must have been one of the first customers cars to receive it !.
I am now running on the 15th Jan 2021 BMS software and seeing around 448 - 450 volts on the pack when fully charged.
The reported range ( with all trips reset ) is anything between 159 - 161 miles on the GOM in Normal mode and Regen level 3.
If your car is perform correctly and you are not affected by poor range returns etc.
I would just leave it as it is !.
Some things ( when working correctly ) are better left alone !.
Hope this helps you decide on your next course of action ( or not ).

Mine still shows 456V on a full charge and wont charge without locking the car, I picked mine up from Chaplehouse Wigan on the 1st February.
There are updates that can be applied to your car to enable charging whilst unlocked and to alter the upper and lower voltage levels to better protect the battery and to enable quicker regen

There are updates that can be applied to your car to enable charging whilst unlocked and to alter the upper and lower voltage levels to better protect the battery and to enable quicker regen
I had the update applied so that I can charge unlocked, down side cost me £60 odd

There's another thread where some members have put data into a spreadsheet, and this includes the version of BMS they have installed, and we still have the OEM BMS (i.e. 456V showing when fully charged) but, for me, it charges unlocked or locked and accepts scheduled charging from my home Pod Point so I'm happy to leave sleeping dogs lie - if it aint broke....!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Here you go

Thanks Mark, like Bloggsy said I think I'll leave be for the time being as everything is working fine for us, I've only charged to 100% once just to see what the voltage was, We don't use the car every day so I leave it at 70-75% state of charge & it's never been lower than 40% state of charge, We've not even used public chargers yet. I'll see what they say when the first service comes around February 2022. (y)

There's another thread where some members have put data into a spreadsheet, and this includes the version of BMS they have installed, and we still have the OEM BMS (i.e. 456V showing when fully charged) but, for me, it charges unlocked or locked and accepts scheduled charging from my home Pod Point so I'm happy to leave sleeping dogs lie - if it aint broke....!

Cheers

Bloggsy
I'm with you Bloggsy!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom