VW ID.3 - 8% Battery Capacity Degradation after 14 months

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Last edited:
I suspect that we are seeing the same numbers for the MGs. It's just that the degradation for the first year or so is hidden. My battery was showing 100% SOH for the first 13 months before it started to drop thereafter. The official SOH is now 96% (after 23 months) but that is probably from a starting point of 104% with the first 3-4% hidden from view.

I suspect that we are seeing the same numbers for the MGs. It's just that the degradation for the first year or so is hidden. My battery was showing 100% SOH for the first 13 months before it started to drop thereafter. The official SOH is now 96% (after 23 months) but that is probably from a starting point of 104% with the first 3-4% hidden from view.
But even with your 'suspected' hidden health setting your figures indicate 8 percent loss over 2 years. The report for the VW was 8 percent over 1 year, so not quite the same.

But even with your 'suspected' hidden health setting your figures indicate 8 percent loss over 2 years. The report for the VW was 8 percent over 1 year, so not quite the same.
It was interesting to hear that he totally blames himself for this level of high degradation on his car this soon, which he has named "Walter" :ROFLMAO: .
He attributes this level of degradation, purely down to constant use of the very high speed ultra rapids on a brand new pack.
Strange that he appeared more pleased that his own test results, matched the figures produced by the VW dealership ? 🤷‍♂️ .
He has now changed his charging habits and uses the rapid chargers a lot less often now.
Proving evidence ( as if we needed it ) that constant use of ultra fast rapid charging, on a regular basis does hit the HV condition battery hard.
I think he intends to report back in the future, if the degradation continues to increase at the same rate now he has charging his charging habits.

It was interesting to hear that he totally blames himself for this level of high degradation on his car this soon, which he has named "Walter" :ROFLMAO: .
He attributes this level of degradation, purely down to constant use of the very high speed ultra rapids on a brand new pack.
Strange that he appeared more pleased that his own test results, matched the figures produced by the VW dealership ? 🤷‍♂️ .
He has now changed his charging habits and uses the rapid chargers a lot less often now.
Proving evidence ( as if we needed it ) that constant use of ultra fast rapid charging, on a regular basis does hit the HV condition battery hard.
I think he intends to report back in the future, if the degradation continues to increase at the same rate now he has charging his charging habits.
...it was charged almost exclusively (90%) at 100 kW DC fast chargers up to full, and regularly discharged below 10% State of Charge (SOC)

In addition to the constant use of rapids, I think the fact they often charged to full using the rapid and allowed battery to go sub 10% didn't help. Wonder which of these three variables was the biggest issue? Need some volunteers to take one each ;)

...it was charged almost exclusively (90%) at 100 kW DC fast chargers up to full, and regularly discharged below 10% State of Charge (SOC)

In addition to the constant use of rapids, I think the fact they often charged to full using the rapid and allowed battery to go sub 10% didn't help. Wonder which of these three variables was the biggest issue? Need some volunteers to take one each ;)
Yeah @biffo .
Finding volunteers maybe a little thin on the ground here ;).
I think he has worked his HV battery pretty HARD in the first year of ownership, cutting it absolutely no slack at all.
I guess he does NOT intend to keep "Walter" long term, would be my best guess ?.
Cash sale customers who do intend to keep their cars a while, I feel pay a little more consideration to their long term battery health (y).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom