• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Wallbox problems - 'connected - waiting for car demand'

bazhorn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just has a wallbox charger installed - and it won't work with my MG5.
The installer went through everything with wallbox support on the phone, and everything is in order...
The message on the app says 'connected - waiting for car demand', and on the car it says 'connected - uncharged!'
The granny charger and public chargers work fine.
The installer will try a new wallbox when we can find a date for the changeover to happen, but in the meantime - has anyone else experienced this issue with wallbox?
Many thanks in advance.

Must be a bit frustrating after all that effort but what you describe does seem to point to a defective charge point.
When I had my HyperVolt installed I could see from the App that it was factory tested the day before delivery!

Just has a wallbox charger installed - and it won't work with my MG5.
The installer went through everything with wallbox support on the phone, and everything is in order...
The message on the app says 'connected - waiting for car demand', and on the car it says 'connected - uncharged!'
The granny charger and public chargers work fine.
The installer will try a new wallbox when we can find a date for the changeover to happen, but in the meantime - has anyone else experienced this issue with wallbox?
Many thanks in advance.
Very frustrating, for both you AND the installer :mad: !.
He now has to make a recall / call back to sort out the problem.
Well ........ The car charges fine on the Granny, it charges fine on a public 7kw charging post, so it has to be a fault with the unit - right ?.
Unless you have a problem with your home electrics ???.
Given a choice of the problem :-
"Car or EV Wallbox" - I know what I would pick !.
Just a pain that you have to wait until a new unit arrives.
It does nothing to boost your confidence in the long term reliability of your wall box, when it fails straight out of the box.
Had a similar problem when my unit was first installed, passed all the safety and load function checks.
Plugged it into the car, worked fine.
Then the following day, it started tripping the RCBO breaker at random times, for no apparent reason.
Even when the car was NOT even plugged in to the car, it would trip !.
EV installer returned two days later and replaced the faulty RCBO breaker, then it all worked fine.
How do these faulty items get through the system and into a unit, then pass the EV installers tests, then fail on day one !.
Simple answer, these mass produced items are not tested sufficiently when produced.
Just random sample testing when batches are change over I guess ?.
It would appear that Hypervolt at least check the function of their wall box units before dispatching them out, well done.

I think if they started testing every single unit your unit cost would increase considerably. Mass produced reliable stuff probably has a really small failure rate anyway and you have to be unlucky to get a duffer.

I think if they started testing every single unit your unit cost would increase considerably. Mass produced reliable stuff probably has a really small failure rate anyway and you have to be unlucky to get a duffer.
Hypervolt test each of their units before dispatch and are able to do so at a competitive price, so why can’t other makers ?.
Assumption is the killer of all !.

My Wallbox Pulsar Plus works fine with my MG5. Does the app offer any updates? If so apply them. Is the charger unlocked? The padlock in the middle should be open, if it's closed click on it while connected to the car

My Wallbox Pulsar Plus works fine with my MG5. Does the app offer any updates? If so apply them. Is the charger unlocked? The padlock in the middle should be open, if it's closed click on it while connected to the car
Fully updated, and unlocked. We've been through all routines with wallbox on the phone, believe me...

Fully updated, and unlocked. We've been through all routines with wallbox on the phone, believe me...
I have a wallbox and NOW... works totally fine. My first one worked for about 2 months and then for some reason decided to only charge at an extremely low rate. They said something was physically wrong with it and fitted a new one.

Sounds like it's a defective box because there's only so much you can try with the software. Reset, turn off totally at the feed for 5 minutes, update software, try schedule charge and all that. I'd say just get it replaced.

I'm not sure if this applies to WallBox but it does to other home chargers. If you have any wifi powerline adapters that allow you to connect internet devices by passing your internet connection over the home electrical wiring then these can cause an issue with smart chargers and their communication with the car. I had this issue and changed from powerline adapters to a mesh system and all was good.
Try unplugging any powerline adapters to see it that helps.

I'm not sure if this applies to WallBox but it does to other home chargers. If you have any wifi powerline adapters that allow you to connect internet devices by passing your internet connection over the home electrical wiring then these can cause an issue with smart chargers and their communication with the car. I had this issue and changed from powerline adapters to a mesh system and all was good.
Oh blimey, I hope it's not my powerline adaptor in the house - it's essential for work as the WiFi can't reach the office... The wallbox is installed in the shed, a little distance from it all, hopefully it's too far away to be affected.

Unfortunately powerline adapters are parasitic i.e. they pollute all your circuits with RF noise.

That said, they don't have any untoward effect on my OpenEVSE unit; indeed it connects to my home network via one over WiFi.

Oh blimey, I hope it's not my powerline adaptor in the house - it's essential for work as the WiFi can't reach the office... The wallbox is installed in the shed, a little distance from it all, hopefully it's too far away to be affected.
I had the same issue and had to change from using powerline adapters to a wifi mesh of 4 repeaters around the house. They do the job but being wifi rather than plugging in directly from the adaptor to device using RJ45 it can mean the speed is reduced a bit.

I’ve just had a Wallbox installed and similarly it’s not working with my mg5. The installer has went through all checks and even replaced the Wallbox with another unit he had in his van still no charge. I’ve no WiFi boosters as suggested and to be doubly sure I turn off all my electric circuits other than the supply for the Wallbox. The unit was still going straight to error (red halo) as soon a it was plugged into the car. I’m now waiting for the installation company to fit an alternative unit.
Oh and I had my car checked at the dealers along with plugging it into various other chargers. Nothing wrong with the car...
I’d say Wallbox needs to tighten up their quality control

Yes, I had same trouble. Once I got rid of the adapters, all was fine.

I've got a PodPoint, a pair of TalkTalk Powerline LAN adapters and a further 4 port Powerline adaptor whose name I don't recall. Everything seems to work fine. B straight charging and delayed charging via the PodPoint app.

Looks like we're trying a new Wallbox next week. Fingers crossed it works this time. Removing powerline adaptors did nothing unfortunately.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom