Warning lights come on when car is hot?

tony powell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am currently in Spain and it is hot. Twice now, after about 1 hour’s driving a number of warnings flash up saying cruise control, emergency braking, collision avoidance are all unavailable. I park the car, switch off, lock the car, then unlock, restart and everything is fine. I think it maybe because the tablet has overheated. Anyone else had this issue?

I have seen, both on the Gen1 and Gen2 a situation when it randomly triggers these warnings.
They appear for about 5 - 10 seconds and then disappear very shortly after.
The same happens if you hold down the reset button on the info unit for about 10 seconds in order to reboot the head unit.
It flags up the same warnings on the dash briefly
If you enter really bright sun light the system will sometimes flag up that the front camera / cruise control etc etc, is suddenly unavailable.
Other owners have also witnessed this strange phenomena.
Exposing the front camera to a sudden burst of sun light, straight into the lens appears to be the trigger factor here.

Last edited:
I am currently in Spain and it is hot. Twice now, after about 1 hour’s driving a number of warnings flash up saying cruise control, emergency braking, collision avoidance are all unavailable. I park the car, switch off, lock the car, then unlock, restart and everything is fine. I think it maybe because the tablet has overheated. Anyone else had this issue?
It's the infotainment system getting too hot. It's just a hard mounted Android tablet and is affected by heat just like any other phone/tablet.

I'd recommend upping your AC a bit more or create a bit more airflow through the cabin.

Also an out of date mobile phone connected to the head unit can cause issues and reset the system. By out of date I mean the Android Auto app being a old version or in some cases an older version of Android.

It's the infotainment system getting too hot. It's just a hard mounted Android tablet and is affected by heat just like any other phone/tablet.

I'd recommend upping your AC a bit more or create a bit more airflow through the cabin.

Also an out of date mobile phone connected to the head unit can cause issues and reset the system. By out of date I mean the Android Auto app being a old version or in some cases an older version of Android.
android head unit will not be flagging issues from the ADAS. Much more likely to be a miscommunication/fault/blocking of the front camera, or one of the 3 radars in the car @tony powell Id have it checked by a dealer if possible to see if they can see any fault history to help rectify the issue

Talking of heat. I washed my car yesterday ( Sunday 14th). The panoramic glass roof was so hot ftom the sun the water I used to wash it was steaming off.

You say that but if your driving along and hold the home button to reboot it switches off the radar and stuff as you get warnings on the dash
There are major issues going on if the head unit is doing anything other than communication via CAN to change settings of the ADAS e.g. lane assist. Certainly does not on the HS, and a major safety concern if the consumer facing 4g and wifi connected head unit is providing processing for them

There are major issues going on if the head unit is doing anything other than communication via CAN to change settings of the ADAS e.g. lane assist. Certainly does not on the HS, and a major safety concern if the consumer facing 4g and wifi connected head unit is providing processing for them
The head unit is definitely the controller for all the systems display items. Resetting the headunit does throw up some errors, whether it controls the function of them at a hardware level I'm unsure.

I cannot comment on how the HS does things as I don't own one, but I can state my mortgage on knowing that the ZS Mk2 head unit works and what I've seen it do.

I'm not convinced it's the heat.

I think the turn it off and back on again procedure is just resetting the software back to an operable state.

Mine gets a whole bunch of those errors from time to time.

Make sure the front sensor/cameras are clear and failing that turn on/off.

It's flakey, for sure.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom