Washer Fluid Low Level Warning

Alb

Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I knew the fluid reservoir must be close to needing a top up but I figured I'd wait until it hit the low level warning.
Tried the washers today but after a few seconds of use there was nothing coming out. I'd obviously run out and it dawned on me for the very first time since getting the car, there is no low level warning!
I'm amazed that in a car crammed with complex electronics, a piece of useful but rudimentary functionality such as this has been completely forgotten.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could see the level in the tank but you can't.

After working with fleet vehicles for many years I got used to topping up regardless on my weekly 'detailed' checks.

From a general safety point of view tyre pressures, tread depth, lights and fluid levels etc. should be checked once a week, add the screenwash top up to that too.

Appreciate this would be an inconvenience for those who don't do that many miles however, so maybe reduce frequency to once a month?

That being said there is a lot less to check on EVs - I bet a lot of people don't bother and just kick the tyres once a year 😂

My last two Fords had it, and that's taking me back as far as 2006.

My 2010 Prius had a dipstick in the reservoir as did my 2012 Prius plus. When I got my 2016 Prius I thought they had forgot to put it in in the PDI and went back to the dealers, they checked other 2016s and none of them had one. I thought it was a cost saving omission by Toyota until I ran low on fluid and lo and behold, a message flashed up on the display telling me it was low, yay.
I'm disappointed to hear the 5 doesn't have a light or message, I don't suppose the ZS has it either. 😟

Good point about checks, I was taken aback by a comment that someone had not opened their bonnet in 6 months of ownership,, as the owner of a complex expensive piece of engineering id be wanting to be on top of everything

I’m used to driving 400€ cars until they die.
now I’m amazed by how many bells and whistles there are on my MG.
but you can always long for more

Good point about checks, I was taken aback by a comment that someone had not opened their bonnet in 6 months of ownership,, as the owner of a complex expensive piece of engineering id be wanting to be on top of everything
Plus it can get very dirty under there in 6 months.

I knew the fluid reservoir must be close to needing a top up but I figured I'd wait until it hit the low level warning.
Tried the washers today but after a few seconds of use there was nothing coming out. I'd obviously run out and it dawned on me for the very first time since getting the car, there is no low level warning!
I'm amazed that in a car crammed with complex electronics, a piece of useful but rudimentary functionality such as this has been completely forgotten.
Had a 2015 LR Disco Sport; that had no warning either... useless!

First world problems eh? :)
Trouble is, it's a motoring offence to have no water in the bottle and come Jan/Feb with salted roads, that can cause havoc. Wouldn't be a massive ask to fit a sensor.

I don't think I've ever owned a car with a low washer fluid light... I've had Ford, Jaguar, Mitsubishi, and now MG and I can't think of having ever seen this light...
Maybe you've never got that low on washer fluid!?:unsure:

I'm used to having a low level warning on washer fluid and the oil too as a basic function. It's not as if my cars are new either...better part of 15 years old.

It's handy functionality in case I should forget, and not something I would've expected a modern car to be without :unsure:

As I stated earlier, I can live without this feature it but it was a surprise finding the functionality wasn't there.
I find it hard to reconcile in my mind that genuinely useful features like this are absent whilst less useful functionality is made a standard fit.

Only just found this forum (and hence, my first post).

I currently have an MG6, with a replacement MG5 LR Exclusive on order. The 6 does have a warning message if the Windscreen Washer bottle fluid level is getting low (the reservoir also feeds the headlamp washers, which I DON'T expect to see on the 5).

I hadn't realised that this "feature" hadn't transferred to the 5, so thanks for the "warning".

You certainly increase consumption with headlight washers so perhaps that is the deciding factor.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom