Washing the car

notdodgy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Over on The Facebook.

Someone had their car breakdown in a carwash.
They have a bill from the garage, who still have the car and were told it shouldn't go through the car wash.
(The car wash thing is incorrect but there is a section in the manual). It states that Jet washers should be used with caution.

I suspect not many know this.

I do have a question which I saw mentioned here a few weeks ago.

While hand washing the car this morning I noticed some of the car drain holes have tape on them.

Should the tape on door drain holes be removed?

Just checked mine now,

Resutls....On the two front doors, each has two oval holes one was clear, the other one's had a very strong transparent tape over them (near the centre of the door)

The rear doors have a different look but were not obstructed..
I really don't know what to think.....someone needs to ask MG.

Last edited:
Just checked mine now,

Resutls....On the two front doors, each has two oval holes one was clear, the other one's had a very strong transparent tape over them (near the centre of the door)

The rear doors have a different look but were not obstructed..
I really don't know what to think.....someone needs to ask MG.
Sounds like mine.

Thanks - was sure I had seen it discussed.

No definitive answer on whether to remove them.

Not going to lose any sleep over it.

There is nothing in the manual of either the ZS EV or the 5 EV that states you cannot use a car wash.

There is a limitation on not using an automatic car wash when using a space saver.

There is also a warning on being careful when using a jet wash.

Of course, whether automatic car washes are a good thing or not is a matter of personal opinion.

Not checked mine to see if there is tape on the drain holes, Never used an auto car wash o_O As I've bought 10 litres of cherry snowfoam I'll be using my snow foam equipment to clean mine :love:(y)

Everyone to their own when it comes to car washes.
I have never liked the automatic ones as there is a danger of dirty, gritty brushes causing scratches etc. (I do not think the environmentally friendly paints used now give the same protection as the old cellulose ones).
I would also suggest caution if using a power washer for the same reason.
Also care required when using a power washer on the wheels,not to be too close, particularly near the valves as they can be disturbed from their seats. This can lead to loss of tyre pressure.

With regard to the drain holes in the doors I intend to blast some waxoyl up them when the weather gets warmer. Leaving the open holes clear to drain any water.

Have not checked the drain holes in my car yet, but if the door was designed to have three holes in the front door panels, then they should be all open in my opinion.
What is the point of having that number drain holes, then have the centre one blanked off with tape ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom