Water pouring from inside the hatchback door when opening!?

Hi thanks for your reply, sorry for any confusion.
The drain plugs / bungs were from the rear hatch back door,
(the tape over the drain hole photos were from the front doors - no issue with water for the front doors, yet.)

In terms of dealer checking, the nearest MG dealer Arnold Clark has said they don't have any appointments until June, which seems ridiculous to me... so not really an option unfortunately.

So far, having removed the drain holes has sorted the immediate problem of water sloshing about inside the hatch door, however... it still doesn't answer the question of where it's coming from or why it should be in there in the first place... Hopefully MG will help, I'm slightly disappointed at the total lack of responsibility MG has so far taken on this. (from the dealer I bought it from and from the the local dealers).
referring to dealship appointments i was told by my dealership that if you buy from another dealer you will always be back of the queue.

Hi now I was just washing ours cars today and I remembered about this issue that Electricbensolar had with the tailgate on his MG5 leaking water in so electricben have you any update for us please
Les

Hi, I'm still waiting for the "local" (2 hour drive each way) garage/dealership to see my car, earliest I could get was first week in May, 5 or 6 weeks after I reported it (at least!).

After removing the plugs in the hatch door, it hasn't seemed to have any water collecting inside the door, which is good. However it doesn't mean it's not coming in and then going out through the holes... which worries me as surly it shouldn't be coming in in the first place...

I've noticed that after washing the car or rain, the side doors always have collected water in them, and when they're opened they seem to encourage the water to run out but only after opening. Which to me says there's quite a lot of water that builds up inside the car over periods of time. Crazy if you ask me...

Aside from this there are one or two other things:
  • Mirrors squeak when unlocking / locking the car when they swivel to the open/closed position.
  • The infotainment screen sometimes just doesn't come on... I either have to turn the car completely off and on again, not ideal when you're driving... or press and hold the home button until it resets... Both of which are a bit worrying for longterm use.
  • Rear reverse lights are very dim, even compared to my previous car which were pretty rubbish too.
  • App never seems to get updates or any feature improvements / bug fixes or otherwise, there's a few things that would make sense to have and or improve, but just nothing?

Well electricben thanks for your response it appears things are not much better for you but you do appear to have the car booked on a bit sooner than June, now the side doors you say have water in them well that quite normal and all the side doors have drain holes in the bottoms to allow that to escape, mirrors may need a bit of lube so that’s nothing to worry about, as for the infotainment screen this can happen on all cars and normally is reset by holding the home button to get it to work but it will happen from time to time don’t think
There’s a cure for it all 3 MGs I have owned have had this issue and it’s not only MGs that can have this please let us know how you get on with the dealer
Les

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I'm overthinking some things, but this is the first "new" (nearly new) car I have ever bought or owned, and as such I kind of expect things to be perfect when I'm spending that kind of money. Is it too much to ask that everything works perfectly and no faults or issues? I don't think so...but I suppose there's always potential niggles and/or some issues on most products.

I totally agree with you it’s should be as you say especially the MG5 as that Cars been around for a few years now and you would think they will have sorted out any issues with it,
which is why the water pouring out of the tailgate came as a bit of a shock not only to you but myself and others here there, it is in my opinion a fitting on that tail gate maybe a light that as not been fitted right and should be quite easy to sort out by the dealer I know it shouldn’t be that way but it is and needs sorting ASAP plus the other things you mentioned so when you take it in get so note paper write everything down do that twice give one to the service desk and put one on the steering wheel in the car so it can’t be missed.
Les

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I'm overthinking some things, but this is the first "new" (nearly new) car I have ever bought or owned, and as such I kind of expect things to be perfect when I'm spending that kind of money. Is it too much to ask that everything works perfectly and no faults or issues? I don't think so...but I suppose there's always potential niggles and/or some issues on most products.
I've had a series of brand new cars over the decades. About half of them had problems from Day One. Worst was a Citroen that had two faults - central locking that locked you in when you tried to open the driver's door to get out, plus an accelerator that randomly stuck full on...

I've noticed that after washing the car or rain, the side doors always have collected water in them, and when they're opened they seem to encourage the water to run out but only after opening. Which to me says there's quite a lot of water that builds up inside the car over periods of time. Crazy if you ask me...

That's normal. My current gen1 ZS does this, as have most if not all of my previous cars.

I totally agree with you it’s should be as you say especially the MG5 as that Cars been around for a few years now and you would think they will have sorted out any issues with it,
which is why the water pouring out of the tailgate came as a bit of a shock not only to you but myself and others here there, it is in my opinion a fitting on that tail gate maybe a light that as not been fitted right and should be quite easy to sort out by the dealer I know it shouldn’t be that way but it is and needs sorting ASAP plus the other things you mentioned so when you take it in get so note paper write everything down do that twice give one to the service desk and put one on the steering wheel in the car so it can’t be missed.
Les
Good idea about 2 lists, I'll definitely do this, thanks 👍

I've had a series of brand new cars over the decades. About half of them had problems from Day One. Worst was a Citroen that had two faults - central locking that locked you in when you tried to open the driver's door to get out, plus an accelerator that randomly stuck full on...
Sounds...dangerous! 😅🙈

Least in an old manual car you could get it out of gear, not actually sure what the situation would be with modern EV's where everything is software controlled.

Sounds...dangerous! 😅🙈
It was terrifying on a couple of occasions. As expected, the dealer denied there was a problem ("well, we've looked at it mate and there's nowt wrong, it must be the way you're using it"). Only on the fifth visit to the dealership was it acknowledged and fixed. I managed this by inviting the Sales Manager to sit in the driving seat and then try to get out while I stood outside. As expected, the central locking kicked in every time he tried to open the door. I only agreed to release him after he'd promised to get it damn well sorted this time. It was...

It was terrifying on a couple of occasions. As expected, the dealer denied there was a problem ("well, we've looked at it mate and there's nowt wrong, it must be the way you're using it"). Only on the fifth visit to the dealership was it acknowledged and fixed. I managed this by inviting the Sales Manager to sit in the driving seat and then try to get out while I stood outside. As expected, the central locking kicked in every time he tried to open the door. I only agreed to release him after he'd promised to get it damn well sorted this time. It was...
Well done you
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom