We need to talk about the software

Bodgerx

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Spent some more time with my Trophy facelift car, and I’m struggling with the software in general. It makes me sad.

So imagine you are driving the car for the first few times, familiar with EVs, you look down to check speed and confirm what regen level is selected to see this:

IMG_20221129_212445.jpg

Is it just me, or is this just a mess? Why is there so much density of information here? Why is the extended trip meter information a permanent feature on a grey/white low contrast background? Why have we got about four different fonts of varying sizes? (I’m stopped here, so the tiny mph display in the middle is dashed out, but that’s in another jaunty font of its own).

Why do I need to know the actual amps and volts whilst driving and we fail to get the Kw worked out for us whilst actually charging? That’s detail where it’s not needed and missing where it is needed. I mean motor speed is cool, but is it really necessary in the default mode? Actual speed should have been right in the middle, not off the the left side. Someone make this make sense.

The regen indicator, if you squint, is the tiny little circle next to the tiny battery percentage indicator. But why? Most manufacturers have this in the logical place - right along side the regen/power indicator (at the right) as large blocked bars as that’s what it actually applies to.

Whilst driving, and something happens, like you get to near a lane edge, this display mode shifts to a mode which shows next-to-nothing other than the MG pilot lane /distance gauge, and then takes an eternity to move back to this mode. That’s not good. A separate mode for that is fine (maybe when you have cruise enabled) but not as an unwanted intrusion.

What’s also not good is that some information that you’d want on there, like temperature, isn’t, and is instead in tiny characters on the infotainment unit which is out of line of sight. There is also no low temp alert, which makes its absence even worse. There is also some strange choices around the charging information. When you get below about 10% you lose the range estimate in the instrument binnacle, and yet it is still secretly calculating, as it can be seen on the infotainment unit if you select that mode - so why decide to hide it from the driver in this critical moment?

Talking of the charging info in the infotainment, who decided this looked good?

IMG_20221129_212419.jpg

If the car was plugged in, there is more misaligned text squeezed on to that charge bar. Make it clearer and line the stuff up.
Moving on to the safety systems…

MG Pilot. The adaptive cruise works ok, but that’s where it ends. I’d say the lane assist stuff is actually dangerous. What is really shocking is that Euro NCAP are awarding points based on the existence of these systems, but there is apparently little real world safety testing happening.

Twice this morning on country roads the system decided that it was safer for me to be automatically veering into the direction of an oncoming car rather than getting too close to a verge. That is not ok. When you add the slightly unsettled nature of the bouncing suspension to the occasions where the system irrationally grabs the wheel, you have a very nervous car that feels like it’s on the edge.

Apart from that, I love it.

Everyone like theirs?

Last edited:
I'd like a live miles/kH figure, just like on petrol cars you have current and average economy
It seems like such a simple request, I wonder if there is a technical reason why it can't be done

I do look at the battery current in the winter, as it gives an indication on how hard the HVAC is working, really just to get a feel for the optimum setting

I'd love an app which allowed you to design your own dash, you could have default and custom screens

It funny my wife likes it set on the screen with car in road and I prefer the screen at your showing one tap of the arrow key and we both get want we want easy

Last edited:
@Bodgerx I do agree with almost all you have said about the information shown on the dash screen. In the 4 journeys I have done so far, I really don’t want or need to see most of that. I must admit that I need to experiment a bit more to see what the alternative screens show, but on a trip yesterday I was also bombarded by the lane thingy. I am hoping I can turn it off, as it was pinging and flashing up constantly (and, imo, completely unnecessarily).

Those are my only complaints though.

I've got a Mk2 ZSEV, in addition to your observations re the dash, Id like to see the following displays made available (all the data is already there, so just a software change):
1. Kw during charging, rather than seeing the volts and amps and then having to multiply to get the result.
2. Battery Temp, so I know if I need to use the heater etc.

Plus I'd like the following controls available/changed (not via a star button on the steering wheel):
3. KERS Inc/Dec on the steering wheel.
4. KERS 0 option, for coasting.
5. Cabin Recirc button set to fresh air by default on Auto (to help stop misting up).
6. Auto headlights high beam on/off switch (on Star button?) not buried in settings menu

@Bodgerx I do agree with almost all you have said about the information shown on the dash screen. In the 4 journeys I have done so far, I really don’t want or need to see most of that. I must admit that I need to experiment a bit more to see what the alternative screens show, but on a trip yesterday I was also bombarded by the lane thingy. I am hoping I can turn it off, as it was pinging and flashing up constantly (and, imo, completely unnecessarily).

Those are my only complaints though.
I turned lane assist off after a week. I prefer to be in control of exactly where the car is in the lane and how far I'm away from a lorry when overtaking it.

I've got a Mk2 ZSEV, in addition to your observations re the dash, Id like to see the following displays made available (all the data is already there, so just a software change):
1. Kw during charging, rather than seeing the volts and amps and then having to multiply to get the result.

Plus I'd like the following controls available/changed (not via a star button on the steering wheel):
5. Cabin Recirc button set to fresh air by default on Auto (to help stop misting up).
6. Auto headlights high beam on/off switch (on Star button?) not buried in settings menu
The car has KERS 0, it's just a bit hidden:
Turn on ACC or MG Pilot
Reduce the target speed to >10MPH less than your current speed
Keep a tiny tiny amount of pressure on the accelerator
You now have KERS 0

Turn on ACC or MG Pilot
You now have KERS 0
Yep, that process is exactly why it just needs to be selectable on a single keystroke.

Spent some more time with my Trophy facelift car, and I’m struggling with the software in general. It makes me sad.

So imagine you are driving the car for the first few times, familiar with EVs, you look down to check speed and confirm what regen level is selected to see this:

View attachment 13172

Is it just me, or is this just a mess? Why is there so much density of information here? Why is the extended trip meter information a permanent feature on a grey/white low contrast background? Why have we got about four different fonts of varying sizes? (I’m stopped here, so the tiny mph display in the middle is dashed out, but that’s in another jaunty font of its own).

Why do I need to know the actual amps and volts whilst driving and we fail to get the Kw worked out for us whilst actually charging? That’s detail where it’s not needed and missing where it is needed. I mean motor speed is cool, but is it really necessary in the default mode? Actual speed should have been right in the middle, not off the the left side. Someone make this make sense.

The regen indicator, if you squint, is the tiny little circle next to the tiny battery percentage indicator. But why? Most manufacturers have this in the logical place - right along side the regen/power indicator (at the right) as large blocked bars as that’s what it actually applies to.

Whilst driving, and something happens, like you get to near a lane edge, this display mode shifts to a mode which shows next-to-nothing other than the MG pilot lane /distance gauge, and then takes an eternity to move back to this mode. That’s not good. A separate mode for that is fine (maybe when you have cruise enabled) but not as an unwanted intrusion.

What’s also not good is that some information that you’d want on there, like temperature, isn’t, and is instead in tiny characters on the infotainment unit which is out of line of sight. There is also no low temp alert, which makes its absence even worse. There is also some strange choices around the charging information. When you get below about 10% you lose the range estimate in the instrument binnacle, and yet it is still secretly calculating, as it can be seen on the infotainment unit if you select that mode - so why decide to hide it from the driver in this critical moment?

Talking of the charging info in the infotainment, who decided this looked good?

View attachment 13173

If the car was plugged in, there is more misaligned text squeezed on to that charge bar. Make it clearer and line the stuff up.
Moving on to the safety systems…

MG Pilot. The adaptive cruise works ok, but that’s where it ends. I’d say the lane assist stuff is actually dangerous. What is really shocking is that Euro NCAP are awarding points based on the existence of these systems, but there is apparently little real world safety testing happening.

Twice this morning on country roads the system decided that it was safer for me to be automatically veering into the direction of an oncoming car rather than getting too close to a verge. That is not ok. When you add the slightly unsettled nature of the bouncing suspension to the occasions where the system irrationally grabs the wheel, you have a very nervous car that feels like it’s on the edge.

Apart from that, I love it.

Everyone like theirs?
Speed to the left is fine by me and it makes dash symmetrical with the power.

Regen is no issue I always stay in 3

I would argue that the remaining miles should be removed from infotainment screen as it is not a precise figure and if you get below 10% the remain milage is really difficult to calculate as there are too many variables.

But agree some fonts and sizes could be better.

I agree a few more options to assign to the * button would be good, we will all have our favourites.

@Gandalfharrow Can I ask how you turn lane assist off completely? I thought I had turned it off, but the symbol is there on the dash screen (in yellow), but, depending on what speed I am doing, it turns green and starts “doing it’s thing”. Aargh 😡

There is also no low temp alert, which makes its absence even worse.
I just had a warning flash up on the dash warning me that the roads may be icy. Nearly missed it though as the font was so small and it didn't stay on for long.

I just had a warning flash up on the dash warning me that the roads may be icy. Nearly missed it though as the font was so small and it didn't stay on for long.
Interesting. I got down to 2C yesterday and there was nothing...maybe it needs to go to 0-1?

@Gandalfharrow Can I ask how you turn lane assist off completely? I thought I had turned it off, but the symbol is there on the dash screen (in yellow), but, depending on what speed I am doing, it turns green and starts “doing it’s thing”. Aargh 😡
It's in the menu of the infotainment system, off top of my head don't know where, but it was obvious, next time I go to the car I will look.

Turn on ACC or MG Pilot
You now have KERS 0
Don't even need the ACC or pilot?
Just feather the throttle...
Or stick it in N

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel