Week in Devon

I wouldn't want to add £10 to my standard rate as that would deter guests who don't have an EV. I also don't expect guests to charge every night, probably just first and last nights assuming they stay local during their stay.

It's a challenging issue, to do long distance EV trips during busy period, not enough chargers to go around and due to its peaky nature not worthwhile for someone to invest in a rapid charge, which would be underused during other times.

Now if someone could come up with portable rapid charges, where it could be moved around depending on demand that would be the ideal solution.
Interesting idea

Get used to the 50kw scenario, maybe 100kw tops in the years to come. It doesn't take that much longer on 50 as you'll only ever hit the high end charge rate for a few mins mid charge anyway.
Anything over 100kw and the cables are getting too big for normal people to cope with and they'll end up damaged all the time.

Not very helpful to suggest the entire UK infrastructure is lacking from a trip round a Southern county, though I agree the state of repair of many needs sorting. From what I saw on a quick search there are half a dozen rapid chargers within 10 miles of those you had issues with.
But who wants to spend an afternoon hunting around the area for rapid chargers that might be available/not broken? I think the answer is having forecourts with large numbers of rapid chargers all in one place (like electric forecourt in Braintree and Rugby) at service stations with somewhere nice to sit/entertain children. That way at least you know you'll get the charge over with and can enjoy the rest of your day /holiday.

But who wants to spend an afternoon hunting around the area for rapid chargers that might be available/not broken? I think the answer is having forecourts with large numbers of rapid chargers all in one place (like electric forecourt in Braintree and Rugby) at service stations with somewhere nice to sit/entertain children. That way at least you know you'll get the charge over with and can enjoy the rest of your day /holiday.
I agree, far better to have lots of chargers at a single destination, otherwise you could be driving around in circles for the free charger.

Get used to the 50kw scenario, maybe 100kw tops in the years to come. It doesn't take that much longer on 50 as you'll only ever hit the high end charge rate for a few mins mid charge anyway.
Anything over 100kw and the cables are getting too big for normal people to cope with and they'll end up damaged all the time.

Not very helpful to suggest the entire UK infrastructure is lacking from a trip round a Southern county, though I agree the state of repair of many needs sorting. From what I saw on a quick search there are half a dozen rapid chargers within 10 miles of those you had issues with.
I was on holiday in the same area in August, and had much the same issues. Several of the rapid chargers, when you looked in detail at the recent Zap-Map reports, were actually either out of action completely, or only available for either DC or AC charging, so at present you can't just do a quick look at the map and find a rapid charger or 6, you have to look at the details of each ones in turn to find the ones that are likely to be working at the time you want to use them, which was a right pain.

I had issues with other "well known brands" of chargers on the way down south from Nottingham as well , as I have had in other parts of the country, so I have no real expectation that the charging infrastructure elsewhere is other than patchy, but hopefully slowly getting better.

Unreliability of chargers is the main cause of anxiety.

For example I stopped on Sunday at Cobham services and the "150kW" new Gridserve unit only supplied 22kW so charging took longer than expected.

On the return trip yesterday, charged at the Ionity units at the same services. The first unit I plugged into refused to start charging; the one (fortunately free) next to it worked first time and was giving me over 50kW.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom