Week old car and rattle from A pillar.

Carlosramdango

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Picked our new car up last Friday and overall I am happy with it. we did a 190 mile round trip on Sunday , mostly motorway and still had 30% battery left from a 100% start.

The only slight issue that I have come across is a vibration/rattle noise from the drivers side A pillar when driven on less than smooth roads. has anyone else had this issue? Is it a known fault? It is slightly annoying as I didn't have any rattles at all in the 4.5 year old Seat Leon that I traded in.

Pop it back to the dealer to check it out.
Yeah it is what I am going to do, was thinking about having a look at sorting it myself to save the inconvenience but if anything goes wrong I will be liable.

I was wondering with all the cars that seemed to have been picked up in the past week has anyone else had this issue?

Picked our new car up last Friday and overall I am happy with it. we did a 190 mile round trip on Sunday , mostly motorway and still had 30% battery left from a 100% start.

The only slight issue that I have come across is a vibration/rattle noise from the drivers side A pillar when driven on less than smooth roads. has anyone else had this issue? Is it a known fault? It is slightly annoying as I didn't have any rattles at all in the 4.5 year old Seat Leon that I traded in.
I think this was an issue with the Gen 1 cars, IIRC someone posted a fix on here or Youtube.
Tom's Man Shed on youtube shows how to remove the trim where he installs a dashcam.

@Carlosramdango Next time you are out and about and you hear the rattle from the "A" pillar trim, try this.
When you hear it rattling, apply pressure to the white speaker grill at the bottom of the trim.
Does it cure the problem - If so, I fixed mine in the following manner.
The below was taken from another forum page, from myself.

"I have ( along with a few others) have this very same issue."
At first I though it was the actual "A" pillar white trims rattling.
But then after a while, I discovered the rattle was something inside of the speaker grill.
It was a little less on the passengers side, but it did affect both sides of the car.
By tapping on the speaker grill with the back of your knuckles, I could reproduce the rattling noise even when the car was at a complete stand still.
I decided to remove the speaker grill with a small trim tool and then disconnected the speaker wire connecter ( you do not have to remove the enter white trim, just the speaker grill itself ).
With the speaker trim and speaker removed ( with speaker still inside ) by shaking the trim from side to side, you can hear the metal body of the speaker rattling inside of the plastic trim.
When I unclipped the speaker, I was surprised to see that the speaker had no gasket fitted and the speaker was clearly loose in the speaker surround.
You can then remove the speaker and fit either some thin felt or even apply a very thin strip of electrical tape around the edge of the speaker surround.
This will stop the speaker rattling around in the plastic surround.
Refit the speaker to the surround and repeat the shaking from side to side test.
Rattle now gone.
Reconnect the speaker wire and refit the speaker to the white "A" pillar trim, it just snaps back into the "A" pillar trim - Done !.

@Carlosramdango Next time you are out and about and you hear the rattle from the "A" pillar trim, try this.
When you hear it rattling, apply pressure to the white speaker grill at the bottom of the trim.
Does it cure the problem - If so, I fixed mine in the following manner.
The below was taken from another forum page, from myself.

"I have ( along with a few others) have this very same issue."
At first I though it was the actual "A" pillar white trims rattling.
But then after a while, I discovered the rattle was something inside of the speaker grill.
It was a little less on the passengers side, but it did affect both sides of the car.
By tapping on the speaker grill with the back of your knuckles, I could reproduce the rattling noise even when the car was at a complete stand still.
I decided to remove the speaker grill with a small trim tool and then disconnected the speaker wire connecter ( you do not have to remove the enter white trim, just the speaker grill itself ).
With the speaker trim and speaker removed ( with speaker still inside ) by shaking the trim from side to side, you can hear the metal body of the speaker rattling inside of the plastic trim.
When I unclipped the speaker, I was surprised to see that the speaker had no gasket fitted and the speaker was clearly loose in the speaker surround.
You can then remove the speaker and fit either some thin felt or even apply a very thin strip of electrical tape around the edge of the speaker surround.
This will stop the speaker rattling around in the plastic surround.
Refit the speaker to the surround and repeat the shaking from side to side test.
Rattle now gone.
Reconnect the speaker wire and refit the speaker to the white "A" pillar trim, it just snaps back into the "A" pillar trim - Done !.
It does seem like the issue I touched the speaker trim and it seemed to stop. Looking at the fix it doesn't look like you remove the A pillar trim, is that the case? If it is just the speaker trim I may give it a go and save myself the trip to the dealers I have booked for next Wednesday.

It does seem like the issue I touched the speaker trim and it seemed to stop. Looking at the fix it doesn't look like you remove the A pillar trim, is that the case? If it is just the speaker trim I may give it a go and save myself the trip to the dealers I have booked for next Wednesday.
If you apply a medium amount of pressure to the speaker grill with your finger, while driving and it stops the rattle ( like mine did ) you have the same problem as our previous ZS EV !.
Oh - I should state that this was on a Gen1 ZS EV and affected BOTH sides, but the drivers side was clearly the loudest, I think the set up is the same on the Gen 2 ZS EV also.
NO - I did not remove the "A" pillar white trim covers, there are air bags behind these trims !.
Once I was 100% convinced this was our issue, I used a plastic panel removal tool to prevent marking the "A" post pillar trim.
If I remember correctly, the speaker grill is held in place by four plastic lugs that are moulded in to the edge of the white speaker surround, you can't loss them, they are part of the surround.
As you release the speaker ( equally around the edge ) you will see the tiny speaker attached to the rear of the grill.
When the speaker surround is clear of the "A" post trim, you will be able to unclip the speaker wire connection and remove the speaker and the grill from the car.
If you now hold the speaker grill and shake it, you will hear the speaker rattle and produce the same noise as you heard while driving.
I would take the speaker grill in doors and then lay the grill flat on a micro fibre cloth.
You can now carefully ease back the white retaining pegs that secures the speaker, to the speaker grill surround.
With the speaker removed, I thinly cut and lined the back of the grill with some self adhesive felt "silent tape".
This is placed between the metal contact surface of the speaker and the white plastic grill.
The felt tape I used was perfect for the job.
Refit the speaker to the grill, then shake to confirm the fix, then reconnect the speaker and refit to the "A" post, by pushing evenly back into place.
The rattle never returned and we had the car for another 18 months.

I will include the link to the tape I used.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I had this with my mk1 zs ev. One of the clips on the back of the trim was broken. Dealer ordered new one. Problem solved.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom