Well, I’ve done it!

Lespresso

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I’ve had my MG5 SR for a year or so now and been contemplating an upgrade, after watching the podcast I was wondering weather to go for the facelift model or wait for the MG4, decisions decision! I finally I went for the MG5 facelif, albeit the SE trim as it’s got all I need and lots more beside.
Delivery expected around end of the year but we’ll see! Oh my gosh! Really excited now, can’t wait all being well an exceptional Chrissy pressy!

Even used car prices are ridiculous right now.

The cheapest used electric car on the biggest used car sales site in Denmark, right now is a 2012 Citroen C-Zero, that is listed at £7400

I would rather use public transport than pay that much money for a 10 year old car that from new, had 16 KWh of battery, and a stated NEDC range of 95 miles. (Imagine the range of this car after 10 years, in the winter...Honestly, i would say that 50 miles is probably what it will do before needing a charge.)

Even used car prices are ridiculous right now.

The cheapest used electric car on the biggest used car sales site in Denmark, right now is a 2012 Citroen C-Zero, that is listed at £7400

I would rather use public transport than pay that much money for a 10 year old car that from new, had 16 KWh of battery, and a stated NEDC range of 95 miles. (Imagine the range of this car after 10 years, in the winter...Honestly, i would say that 50 miles is probably what it will do before needing a charge.)
The ridiculous high price of fossil fuel is fuelling the demand for EV’s 100%.
Poor availability of new EV’s and LONG LONG wait times are not helping the situation.
Just over two years ago, it was a different story.
Fossil owners making jokes about EV ownership.
Well, these are the same people now are absolutely screaming to get a new EV.
So, what has caused the big change of heart then ?.
Easy, fuel prices pure and simple.
Wait times are really long and therefore the demand for second hand EV’s have gone crazy !.
Prices are hugely over inflated, but if you don’t pay it, somebody else surely will !.
It’s a seller market right now.
Any condition, any model, any size of car, disregard the mileage on the clock, any battery size, it’s gone completely and utterly bonkers !.
Right now it’s a “Perfect Storm” condition, which I can not see it changing in the next 12 to 18 months at least !.
If you are lucky enough to own ANY EV right now, think yourself very fortunate my friends.

I totally agree, I count myself very fortunate and possibly in a win, win situation, firstly to be one of the first orders of this amazing facelift model and secondly already having a reasonably young MG5 EV in a appreciating market.
Certainly, it would appear the used EV market favours a car with the 5’s attributes ie 200 plus miles, balance of a manufacturers 7 year warranty etc.
I personally feel this is a good time to go for the this opportunity in the optimistic view, yes, I will wait but the longer it takes the more I’ll possibly get for my current car, or that’s the thought anyway.

The ridiculous high price of fossil fuel is fuelling the demand for EV’s 100%.
Poor availability of new EV’s and LONG LONG wait times are not helping the situation.
Just over two years ago, it was a different story.
Fossil owners making jokes about EV ownership.
Well, these are the same people now are absolutely screaming to get a new EV.
So, what has caused the big change of heart then ?.
Easy, fuel prices pure and simple.
Wait times are really long and therefore the demand for second hand EV’s have gone crazy !.
Prices are hugely over inflated, but if you don’t pay it, somebody else surely will !.
It’s a seller market right now.
Any condition, any model, any size of car, disregard the mileage on the clock, any battery size, it’s gone completely and utterly bonkers !.
Right now it’s a “Perfect Storm” condition, which I can not see it changing in the next 12 to 18 months at least !.
If you are lucky enough to own ANY EV right now, think yourself very fortunate my friends.
It's just strange from a perspective of a dane, that EV's are so much more wanted, at the rates of electricity and diesel here, it is hardly cheaper to drive an EV, compared to our previous diesel in terms of cost per mile.

We only bought an EV, because we can get "cheap" electricity because we have solar panels, had we not had the solar panels it would have never been a good deal to switch to an EV, compared to our 2016 diesel.

It's just strange from a perspective of a dane, that EV's are so much more wanted, at the rates of electricity and diesel here, it is hardly cheaper to drive an EV, compared to our previous diesel in terms of cost per mile.

We only bought an EV, because we can get "cheap" electricity because we have solar panels, had we not had the solar panels it would have never been a good deal to switch to an EV, compared to our 2016 diesel.
It's a little different here in the UK as I am sure you understand.
My son ( until recently ) was running a 2016 ( owned from new ) VW Tiguan diesel that had covered 30,000 miles.
To almost fill his tank was quickly approaching £120.00 for Derv.
He may get roughly somewhere between 400 - 500 miles from that fill up ( ish ).
If I charge my ZS EV Gen 2 to 100% from home ( twice ) on my cheap 5p / Kwh Off Peak rate, I can pretty much achieve close to that 400 - 500 miles in distance covered.
However, the cost to charge the ZS EV is likely to account for less than the £20 of that £120.00 in derv he is asked to pay.
Then we have servicing costs to consider, major service on a VW Tiguan ?????.
You will be lucky to see any change out of a bill for £300 ( ish ).
Six months ago the clutch slave cylinder decided to fail and leak fluid onto his drive.
The car had no clutch pedal and was therefore recovered, it now transpires that this is a common problem on many VAG cars.
The clutch plates where fine, but the slave cylinder was absolutely U.S.
Replacement part was about £110.00 BUT it requires removal of the gearbox etc.
Main dealer estimate for this work £1,500.00.
He was able to enlist the help of a family friend who has his own garage, so costs where a lot lower.
I think we can see where this comparison is heading folks, between EV's and fossil cars.
I am unable to afford solar panels or a storage battery at my stage of life, but I do understand this.
I would not be enjoying / covering the same trips, if I was running a fossil car in the U.K.
Could not afford it, pure and simple !.

I think that realistically that must be the way all this is heading. Energy is energy. Tax is tax. Electricity is way more useful than petroleum products.

I’ve had my MG5 SR for a year or so now and been contemplating an upgrade, after watching the podcast I was wondering weather to go for the facelift model or wait for the MG4, decisions decision! I finally I went for the MG5 facelif, albeit the SE trim as it’s got all I need and lots more beside.
Delivery expected around end of the year but we’ll see! Oh my gosh! Really excited now, can’t wait all being well an exceptional Chrissy pressy!
Congrats!! I wish we got MG5 down here in Australia, nice car. But I'll have to do with our ZS EV at the moment which we take camping all the time. Few of our camping videos on my EV YouTube channel here if your interested - Electric Car Australia

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom