Well I did it… I took a spray can to my week old XPower….

Brettus

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
I’d bought the can a month or so ago and wanted to give it a go. I’ve never sprayed anything before (apart from an MDF sign I made for a tuck shop, single black colour)

IMG_4744.jpeg
More masking was required, lesson for next time but thankfully overspray wasn’t too bad so I cleaned that up and learned my lesson.
IMG_4745.jpeg
No turning back now!
IMG_4746.jpeg
When you think you’ve got enough coats, do a couple more. My next lesson learned.

A short drying time later….
IMG_4747.jpeg
Thankfully despite my thin (and not enough) coats, the peel went OK.
I’m super pleased with how the metallic blue plastidip turned out. I didn’t want a badge cover as it makes it “bolder” (and I wanted my choice of colour)

Will see how well it lasts given my sparing coats but I’ve barely used any of the can so I can redo it if/when required. Back badges next most likely.

Attachments

• IMG_4748.jpeg
    IMG_4748.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 191
Your braver than me m8,
That's why I went for covers.
But you're right they do look a bit big.
You have given me the inspiration to have a go though.
Looks great 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d bought the can a month or so ago and wanted to give it a go. I’ve never sprayed anything before (apart from an MDF sign I made for a tuck shop, single black colour)

View attachment 20530
More masking was required, lesson for next time but thankfully overspray wasn’t too bad so I cleaned that up and learned my lesson.
View attachment 20531
No turning back now!
View attachment 20532
When you think you’ve got enough coats, do a couple more. My next lesson learned.

A short drying time later….
View attachment 20533
Thankfully despite my thin (and not enough) coats, the peel went OK.
I’m super pleased with how the metallic blue plastidip turned out. I didn’t want a badge cover as it makes it “bolder” (and I wanted my choice of colour)

Will see how well it lasts given my sparing coats but I’ve barely used any of the can so I can redo it if/when required. Back badges next most likely.

Maybe try Liquid masking
Amazon product ASIN B006ZY3KZW

That's similar to the Black VW badges we did.

That looks a terrific job 👍

Do you apply the plastidip all over and then cut it out around the badge ?

Any prep required apart from cleaning ?

Plastidip is magic stuff, no cutting needed, it’s peel-able rubberised paint. As you peel it up and pull away from the badge it gives along that line and leaves the badge coated. You can peel the badge still if you get a fingernail in there so I can remove it later if I want. But yeah essentially you overspray (but within a contained masked area) and then peel the excess.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom