What’s Your Home EV Charger of Choice & Supplier?

CarbonEV

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Interested to hear who everyone chose for their electricity and what rate, as well as what everyone who decided to get a Home EV charger went for, I spend quite a lot of time researching & trying to find the right one for me.

In the end, I purchased a Easee Home Charger which is getting installed on the 23rd November.

Chose it because I liked the features on the app because you can disable charging remotely/anytime as well as being able to make it tethered (it can lock the cable in) as well as untethered.

Plus it’s a small, neat box.

For electricity I stayed with British Gas on their 8.95p rate from 12-5am.

Day rate is 30.3p.

Last edited:
You need to take into account what the day rate is as well as the EV/night rate and standing charge. Also if you have duel fuel the price for gas also needs to be taken into consideration.

I pay a little more with E.on but I get 7 hours from midnight at the cheap rate which means I can have an electric shower, put a wash on etc. when I get up.

Cheap rate 00:00 to 7:00 - 9.5p/kW
Day rate - 32.37p/kW
Standing charge 50.31p/day
Zappi charger.

My wife is getting a Motability car and they supply the Ohme charger as part of the package. We are with British Gas on the Electric Driver v1 tariff
57.28p standing charge,
29.66p / kWh day rate and
9.4p / kWh night rate for 5 hours a day (midnight to 5am).

The other thing to try and do as well as charge the car is shift any dishwasher, washing machine use to the cheap rate times of day as this can save around £100 a year

You need to take into account what the day rate is as well as the EV/night rate and standing charge. Also if you have duel fuel the price for gas also needs to be taken into consideration.

I pay a little more with E.on but I get 7 hours from midnight at the cheap rate which means I can have an electric shower, put a wash on etc. when I get up.

Day rate - 32.37p/kW
Zappi charger.

Updated with my day rate.

People often say you need to check the day rate when you have a dual rate tariff, this is true but I still havent found anyone cheaper than Octopus Intelligent.

Peak 29.56p
Off Peak 7.5p 23:30 to 05:30 plus other times under Octopus control, off peak for the whole house not just the EV charging as per some tariffs.
Standing Charge 53.96

Wallbox
MyEnergi Zappi because it integrates fully with solar and battery, can be controlled remotely and it works. Even better now because it has OI integration so non compatible cars like MG can reap the rewards of Octopus Intelligent tariff.

People often say you need to check the day rate when you have a dual rate tariff, this is true but I still havent found anyone cheaper than Octopus Intelligent.

Peak 29.56p
Off Peak 7.5p 23:30 to 05:30 plus other times under Octopus control, off peak for the whole house not just the EV charging as per some tariffs.
Standing Charge 53.96

Wallbox
MyEnergi Zappi because it integrates fully with solar and battery, can be controlled remotely and it works. Even better now because it has OI integration so non compatible cars like MG can reap the rewards of Octopus Intelligent tariff.

Unfortunately I’m unable to get it, I gets it’s because of my wall box.

Hypervolt 2 (I like the disco lights and other LED colour options!) And British Gas EV Tarrif ( as detailed above in various other replies).

I was close to getting this box!

But you can get Octopus Go, same day/standing charge rates and 9p off-peak for 4 hours.

I’m sure the website wouldn’t allow any EV tariff for my area, I’ll double check again.

Day rate - 32.37p/kW
Zappi charger.
I changed to the Eon Next Drive in September, and with my 4kW solar and 12kWh battery, I haven't used any peak rate yet. :)

I have a dumb Pod-Point which came free with my first EV (Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh).

I went for the Zappi as it works well with solar and now it works with Intelligent Octopus Go 7.5p for 6 hours plus.
I also have a house battery so don't really use any peak rate and export at 15p too.

I was close to getting this box!

I’m sure the website wouldn’t allow any EV tariff for my area, I’ll double check again.
Don't use the basic Octopus home page to find tariffs. Use either of these.

This one to check rates in your area.

if using this next one just enter your postcode and scroll down, don't click the 'Get a quote' button.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom