What bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt4hed

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I still find it shocking that not all the bulbs in the new ZS are LED, especially when the HS gets dynamic rear LED indicators...

What bulbs are in the rear indicators, mirror indicators and reverse lights so that I can replace them with LED.

I still find it shocking that not all the bulbs in the new ZS are LED, especially when the HS gets dynamic rear LED indicators...

What bulbs are in the rear indicators, mirror indicators and reverse lights so that I can replace them with LED.
Have you looked in the manual ?

Have you looked in the manual ?
I, like many other people don't do manuals, I find searchable forums better for information gathering, it also helps spark a discussion as to the best LED bulbs to replace them with :)

I am guessing like most that the mirror indicators are going to be 501 bulbs and the rest will be 382 unless the indicator in the rear is an orange one then it will be a 581 but I wanted to know if someone knew and had maybe done the replacement themselves and what bulbs they recommend

From the manual:
Rear Direction Indicators WY16W 16W
Reverse Lamps W16W 16W
License Plate Lamps W5W 5W
Load Space Lamp C10W 10W
Interior Lamp W5W 5W
There's no mention of the mirror indicators, they may be built in.

From the manual:
Rear Direction Indicators WY16W 16W
Reverse Lamps W16W 16W
Load Space Lamp C10W 10W
Interior Lamp W5W 5W
This is also why I didn't read the manual as I knew I would have to google eac h bulb to get the UK equivalent part number :ROFLMAO:

I think there's even a thread on here with details & how to's....

Magnifying glass top right, right now...👍
I used the search function, I always do before posting. The only "how to" I could find was relevant to the old ZS EV, and we all know the headlights and tai lights on the new one are different.

I used the search function, I always do before posting. The only "how to" I could find was relevant to the old ZS EV, and we all know the headlights and tai lights on the new one are different.
They're led aren't they? So won't be needing changing...?

They're led aren't they? So won't be needing changing...?
If you read my post you will see I am not trying to change the headlights... I am trying to change the rear indicators, the reverse lights and the mirror indicators, none of these are LED on the facelift ZS.

I'll probably take the lamps out and eyeball them, at least that way I will be sure what they are and also how to get at them :)

If you read my post you will see I am not trying to change the headlights... I am trying to change the rear indicators, the reverse lights and the mirror indicators, none of these are LED on the facelift ZS.

I'll probably take the lamps out and eyeball them, at least that way I will be sure what they are and also how to get at them :)
Ah ok.
You did also mention "tai lights" which I took to mean tail lights as in rear lights.

Don't forget to do a write-up for the forum so others can see how you get on, gotchas etc 👍

Ah ok.
You did also mention "tai lights" which I took to mean tail lights as in rear lights.

Don't forget to do a write-up for the forum so others can see how you get on, gotchas etc 👍
Well yes I did mention it because the headlights and tail lights are different on the old and new ZS, but yeah I get the confusion, I was referring to the entire cluster, not just the rear position lights as i think they are technically called.

Yeah I will do a post when I have get the car back from the garage today (see my latest threat for that fun story)

Well yes I did mention it because the headlights and tail lights are different on the old and new ZS, but yeah I get the confusion, I was referring to the entire cluster, not just the rear position lights as i think they are technically called.

Yeah I will do a post when I have get the car back from the garage today (see my latest threat for that fun story)
YouTube may also have some guidance/experiences👍

@sgt4hed you may find this video interesting.
It’s on a Gen1 version but it does cover the reversing lights - interesting results.

Yeah worth a watch tho I found myself "erm..ing" a few times - e.g. he's only tried one make & type of bulb;
he's discounted higher wattages (of led) because of "heat" & "melting plastic" issues... I thought almost the entire point of led & their efficiency was  not wasting power through generating heat...🤔🤷‍♂️

Is there anyway to get another led in the clear lens clusters outboard of the ones he's working on?

Yeah worth a watch tho I found myself "erm..ing" a few times - e.g. he's only tried one make & type of bulb;
he's discounted higher wattages (of led) because of "heat" & "melting plastic" issues... I thought almost the entire point of led & their efficiency was  not wasting power through generating heat...🤔🤷‍♂️
yeah but high powered LEDs do get ****** hot :)

When you have a normal filament bulb that is for example 10W atleast 8 of those are just converted to heat.

If you want more light from a LED, you might go with a 5W LED bulb.

This will give a lot more light than the 10W filemant bulb, and will only "waste", maybe 1 watt on heat.

You REALLY have to up the wattage on a LED, before you get anywhere near as hot as the filament bulb you are replacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom