What car did you replace with your MG?

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Most people bought an MG to replace an ICE car. Some people replaced another EV.
What car did you replace with your MG, do you miss your old car and when you compare the two, how would you describe the experience of MG EV ownership?

Mitsubishi PHEV 2L 2016. EV range annoyingly low. Pre EV switch so engine would start too easily. No range anxiety, large depreciation. Replaced by MG ZS Exclusive. Loving the full EV and the gizmos but not had to charge publicly yet. Got a Shell card for emergencies but who would want to pay 41p per Kw?

VW Golf GTE PHEV for just over four years.
My first introduction to electric propulsion.
It brought a smile to my face every time I drove it.
After owning the PHEV for only a short time, I knew my next car would need to be a full BEV.
In my older age and a poor result from a knee replacement, I needed an EV with a higher ride height.
I do miss my Golf but needs must I am afraid !.
Do I regret going full EV ?.
Absolutely NOT !.

Previous car was a Citroen C3 Picasso. Basically a van with windows. 1.6 diesel which would happily do 60mpg and have a range of circa 600 miles. Back seats folded flat which was great when having to tote stuff about

Traded for a MG ZS EV Exclusive. Enjoying the EV experience. I do mostly local miles so range anxiety not an issue. Done one 400 mile round trip with no charging problems.

The MG is a much nicer drive but I do miss those fold flat seats!

An old Renault Megane Scenic people carrier, which we bought for a few hundred quid as a runabout. I wanted to replace it like-for-like as we used it for going out with our dog and not concerned at all if it gets filthy, dinged or scratched, but MG gave us a ridiculously good trade-in and deal, it was hard to say no! I do miss not having those concerns though, I'm really precious abut where I park and how the car gets used!

Have a mk5 Golf estate still sitting on the driveway that was kept while I got used to running an EV, but it's barely turned a wheel since I got the ZS. Apart from a gearbox failure, she's probably been the best all round car I've had in many a year.

My previous car's were the Citroen Zero. Great little car, range a bit limited. And I part-ex'd my Mazda RX8, a truly wonderful car, tho' a trifle thirsty... Sad to see it go after 11 years of ownership, bodywork was getting bad....

Mercedes c220 with AMG styling... I loved the car when I bought more than I love the MG ZS at new. However it was dying when I part exchanged it and had lots of faults so was glad to get rid of it, however it's body styling and shape I still love more.

I use the AMG mats in my MG, just black out the "A..'
The MG is a nice car but I just worried that I will easily damage it, (have to restrict my flatulence..lol ).. it's metal and paint are both rather thin.

I wanted a small EV to travel 70 miles a day for work but the MG5 kept coming up as great value so got it and will pass on my Skoda Fabia to my daughter.

I replaced a Golf GTD estate. Nice car with all the whistles and bells but I prefer my smooth quiet new MG 5

I replaced a 6 year old kia ceed with the MG HS PHEV. Its a 1st step to a full EV but with no range anxiety. I'm loving the EV experience so far, so already thinking in 18 months time when my 2nd car finishes its PCP term , I will be seriously looking for a full EV to replace it with.

My ZS replaced a BMW i3 94aH I had for nearly 4 years and 28000 miles. I miss the one pedal driving and climate control/pre-conditioning but that’s about all. I was attracted to the MG by the price and range initially. After test driving the ZS I found the visibility much better, the ride comfort much more suitable for my ageing bones and the Exclusive specification very impressive. I love the airiness the panoramic roof gives to the interior and the overall feeling of spaciousness. For the price and cost to change it was a no-brainer. A brand new car with a range to get north of London without having to recharge won it for me.

Replaced mg zr160 which i had fir 15 years ,great fun car and very reliable.Just was time for a change and i stumbled across the zs ev, glad i did as it's much more suited to my driving now as I'm older.

My MG5 replaced a Passat B7 estate 1.6tdi Bluemotion, 2012 plate, which I bought at a bit less than a year old. It had about 100k on the clock and beginning to cost money (EGR valve [no, I hadn't had the Dieselgate 'mod' done], second ABS sensor on a rear wheel and suspension bushes on their way out. A new water pump & timing belt every few years is routine but highly irritating.)

I'd driven an EV for a week some time before getting the 5 (we had a BMW i3 as a pool car at work, which I managed to borrow one time the Passat was poorly). I quite liked the experience with silent running and instant grunt away from the lights. The 5 did not disappoint in that regard.

In the 5 I miss the size of the load space, true flat folding rear seats and the cubby holes of the Passat. The MG5 is OK but its not in the same class for load carrying. And the roof rail saga. Oh dear. MG did themselves no favours there but I gather a positive resolution is in sight.

The 5 has a slightly more wallowing ride and less steering feel than the Passat and the general trim of the 5 has a slightly more budget feel to it.

Seats and driving position are good though and I'm already used to the height of the floor. Controls all fall to hand.

The infotainment unit is fairly clunky and glacial in its responsiveness, especially the navigation. It's tolerable though.

All in all I'm fairly pleased. We'll see how things go.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom