What car did you replace with your MG?

My wife replaced her diesel Skoda Yeti 4x4 with the ZS and I am so close to pulling the trigger on replacing my LR Disco Sport with a Skoda Enyaq (just researching the best deal)

We live at the top of a steep hill which gets littered with abandoned cars at the slightest drop of snow so we will be going from 2 four wheel drives to all electric two wheel drive. I hope we don't regret it

Last edited:
Kia Niro hybrid. In fact it was a very nice car, My missus & I have a 50/50 shout on what car to buy and at the time she wasn't ready to go full BEV so the Niro was a compromise, I used up all my brownie points to get this MG ZS EV as she actually drives the car more than me and she was sceptical at first but over the three months we've owned it she has come to really like it. (y)

A Golf R estate.

Don't really miss it at all. The styling is probably the thing I miss the most, the MG5 certainly isn't a headturner, but most of the performance of the R wasn't usable and it was generally 30mpg max.

Still very happy with my decision which was designed to be the most affordable way to find out if an EV could suit our needs.

Three very good diesel Renault Kangoo estate car types in a row. Then a horrendous diesel Mercedes B class for eight awful days. Followed by two absolutely superb diesel Citroen Berlingo Multispace cars both with the manual / automatic transmission- delight to drive and regular 65ish mpg. All except the Merc gave over 20,000 miles each year of excellent service. I retired last year and got a really good deal from Frasers in Falkirk on my MGZSev exclusive. I love driving it - I love not pouring smelly diesel into it - I miss not having a tow bar but goodness gracious what a joy to drive 👌

I replaced a Jaguar XF Sportbrake. As it only covered 3000 miles last year it was sadly not getting enough use. The MG has a better Sat Nav than the Jaguar, good enough Stereo and heated seats. The MG cannot be used to practically travel long distances yet but we use a Motorhome for that as all the public toilets are closed!,

HI all
I replaced a Toyota Estima 2.4vvti for this Mg ZS EV, love it, as before I was only getting about 24 miles to the gallon. No problems with public charging although I wish supermarkets would not put 7kw chargers in, by the time you have connected, turned it on the wife has done the shopping and its time to go, having only been connected for 30 mins or so.

HI all
I replaced a Toyota Estima 2.4vvti for this Mg ZS EV, love it, as before I was only getting about 24 miles to the gallon. No problems with public charging although I wish supermarkets would not put 7kw chargers in, by the time you have connected, turned it on the wife has done the shopping and its time to go, having only been connected for 30 mins or so.
Agreed- there’s only. So long you can take to ponder and choose which food you might fancy next week 😂 And even having a coffee in the restaurant only adds a handful of miles. Still, every little helps 🤪

13 year old Mini Cooper 1.6D. Fun to drive but fed up with DPF faults every few months.

2016 57reg Toyota Auris Hybrid Sports Tourer.

much the same size and similar quality interior so far.
toyota was faultless over the 4.5 years I had it.
apple car play and android auto are a benefit along with the leatherette seats.
I miss the luggage net that could be raised up to the roof behind the rear seats to stop things flying forward from the boot.

Most people bought an MG to replace an ICE car. Some people replaced another EV.
What car did you replace with your MG, do you miss your old car and when you compare the two, how would you describe the experience of MG EV ownership?
I replaced a Tesla model3 LR

I had a Prius Hybrid for 6 years. Great car but miles were rising, as it was second hand. So went for a MG Av ( good price, lots of boys toys). Beat range was 83 miles to a gallon but normally 65.
What do I miss: Head Up display with direct link to navigation and power status, and auto park.

I had a Dacia Duster before my ZS EV. A very basic car but extremely good value. I drove all the way to Poland and back for a wedding but touring around and taking the scenic route. Not too sure how I would do the same journey in my MG. No more weddings to go to so no worry. I like my MG.

You're not alone.
What didn't you like about it?
Windscreen was too raked, I adapted but my wife constantly hit her head. Woefully underpowered. It never lived up to it's look. I was putting in about £50 a week for about 160 miles of driving to and from work.

Windscreen was too raked, I adapted but my wife constantly hit her head. Woefully underpowered. It never lived up to it's look. I was putting in about £50 a week for about 160 miles of driving to and from work.
Somebody in our family has one, nice looking / stylish car but his wife absolutely hates it !.
Every time see gets into the front or the back, she hits her head.
She said the back is the worst and feels it is only suitable for children to get in and out without bagging their heads.
Also, sitting in the back feels very claustrophobic ( small window's ) and the dark trim does not help any at all.

MGZS ice 2018 no comparison
One MG sales person told me, a few days after he had first driven the ZS EV on a Demo day prior to offering the car to the public to test drive in at a letter date.
He commented :- "This is power plant that the ZS has ALWAYS needed, it really transforms the feel in the car and lifts it to a more higher level in diving pleasure".
When a placed my order for the ZS EV way back in July 2019 - I had NO idea if the car would suit our needs after owning a 5 door PHEV for four years previously.
My son suggested that we should at least test drive the ICE version of the car first.
I declined because I had a good idea that they would be two totally different cars to drive and did not want to be disappointed by test driving the ICE model.
I have still to drive the ICE model, but am not in any great hurry to be totally honest !.

We got the ZS EV to replace my wife's Ford Fiesta and honestly don't regret it for a moment.
The Fiesta had rattles and other squeaks and creaks that had us guessing what and where they came from, its not gone to waste though having everything done to it.
Camber and water pump replaced some rattles being investigated and 4 new tyres going on.
Bodywork is mint to say it's 13yrs old.
Passing it onto our daughter.
I've still got a Leaf Tekna 24kw and I'm seriously jealous of the new ZS it blows the Leaf out of the water.
Now thinking of getting the Leaf swapped for something else .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom