What car did you replace with your MG?

I had a Suzuki Baleno 1.2 DualJet SZ3 basic spec. But 58MPG so cost me about £90 month in petrol. Now with the MG5 Electric cost about £30.

MG ZS 1.0l 13 months old traded back early as gained brand confidence to get the ZS EV #Team Blue

I had my late wife's Peugeot 107. It was a very small car for a very big chap to get in and out of. As age started to catch up with me I struggled at times getting in and out of the Pug. My ZS EV in comparison is enormous and when I first got in it it took me back to the days I drove a double decker bus although I soon got used to it and I now love my EV.

Dave

I bought my ZS EV as a replacement for a Porsche Boxster. Had it for 6 years and throughly enjoyed it. However, a back injury meant it was getting more & more difficult to get in & out, especially in tight parking bays. Also, the arrival of grandchildren meant we had to have something suitable for child seats as we help out with childminding.

A greater awareness of environment issues led me to electric, and then to the MG. One of my better decisions and one I do not regret for a moment. Still enjoying the car after some 15 months of ownership.

#teamwhite

After 10 years of Mercedes ownership, the last being a E220AMG line estate. I needed a 150+ range estate as I travel the south of England for work, I carry work kit and have 4 dogs. After putting aside my premium badge prejudices I couldn’t resist the cheaper running costs and peace of mind with the warranty. The Merc was beginning to cost money with the service and other bits that needed doing costing over £2k last summer it was time for a change. In addition the service plan what’s not to like. The MG 5 has been a much more positive experience than I ever could have imagined.

Peugot Teepee diesel and I Don't regret my move to MG5. I charge once 1 a week at 7 quid, laughing all the way to the Bank

Most people bought an MG to replace an ICE car. Some people replaced another EV.
What car did you replace with your MG, do you miss your old car and when you compare the two, how would you describe the experience of MG EV ownership?
My previous car was a Kia Ceed which I kept for 7 years. I replaced it with the MG 5ev. My eV is a totally different but a much more enjoyable driving experience. I love the silence and smooth acceleration. It hugs the road really well and I can easily get 200 miles from a full charge even in winter. I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to the noise and jerkiness of an ICE.

I replaced an Audi A6 with my MG ZS EV. Don't miss it at all. Love the money I'm saving though, especially the £0 road tax compared with £42 per month for the Audi! Cheaper monthly payments, cheaper insurance, etc...

The car I traded in for the MG 5 Exite was a Citroen C3 Picasso. This suited me as it was easy to get in and out of the front and back which as you get older is a concern. I kept it for seven years. The MG 5 is a good bit longer and only just fits in my garage with the charging cable inserted. I have driven every thing from a Reliant 3 wheeler to an artic and the MG 5 is among the most pleasant.

My HS Exclusive PHEV replace a 2017 Outlander 5HS PHEV this week, my second PHEV and fourth Mitsubishi.
All had been without fault but Mitsubishi have abandoned the UK and Europe.
Only having 6 months warranty left on such a tech equipped vehicle with no manufacturer base was worrying.
My local dealer switched to an MG franchise, went for a test drive and got an acceptable deal on a demonstrator.
Only vehicle in budget with the same safety equipment as the Outlander and cabin size (I'm a big bloke), which ruled out the Kia Xceed for me.
The MG seems well put together, the Mitsu could feel cheap at times. You could feel the door cards move when the windows were used!
Far more modern feel inside, a scatter gun was used to locate the switchgear in the Mitsu. The panoramic roof makes things light and airy, like the ASX I had, with a bigger opening than the Outlanders traditional sunroof.
Only downside I can see is it was easier to change running modes in the Outlander, with EV, Charge and Save mode switches to hand.
Slightly longer EV range should be better for my weekday local journeys. Hopefully the ICE should prove to be more economical in the MG, long motorway journeys saw averages around 30mpg in the Outlander.

Last edited:
The MG EHS is replacing my lovely 2002 Rover 75 tourer which I sold on last week. Sad but had to be done. My passion is my MG ZT400 with a supercharger, so the EHS is my attempt to offset :) My daily at the moment, until the HS is with me is our MG3 which is a cracking little car.

I ordered a ZS EV Excite today to replace my ZS Exclusive. This is the first time I have ever gone for a newer version of the same car. However, being an EV I think it will be a completely different experience.

Ive been saying for a while now that my next car would be electric. Set a price of £20k but didn't expect that to arrive so soon! Got mine to replace my old seat ibiza st. Boot is a similar size, but the cabin is much bigger. Strange not having gear shifts to keep my speed down but also doesn't feel like a car that wants to be driven fast. Overall I'm very happy.

I replaced my 56 reg BMW X3. The lease costs me almost exactly the amount I used to spend on just Diesel each month! A real no-brainer. Plus I anticipate that some expensive parts might fail in the near future...

The ZS EV is my first ever brand new car. I'm used to second hand rust buckets, so I feel like I'm in the space age now.

Picked up our new ZS EV Exclusive on Friday which has replaced a 3 year old Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - so far very impressed with the car.

Things I miss:
- Not having an app, being able to remotely defrost the car on cold winter mornings was nice, watching your neighbours scrape away at their cars while mine sat in the drive way with steam coming off a rapidly clearing windscreen.
- Flappy padels for KERS levels, there were 6 levels of KERS in the Outlander controlled by flappy paddles behind the steering wheel which were great for controlling speed downhill or approaching roundabouts / traffic lights. I've used the KERS button on the ZS a few times but it does mean taking one hand off the wheel to get to it, nowhere near as good as the flappy padels. Also KERS mode 0 on the Outlander basically switched KERS off which was great for motorway cruising.
- Heated windscreen and heated steering wheel (first world problems I know....)

Things I don't miss:
- Service costs, having a hybrid you get the cost of maintaining both drive trains. First service in the Outalnder was £350-ish.
- Economy on long runs, pushing what was essentially a 2 tonne wardrobe down the motorway had quite an effect on overall mpg.
- Limited battery range, from 22 miles in the winter to a max of 30 in the summer in the Outlander, which was fine for round town and most of the commute to/from work but still ended up at the dead dinosaur petrol station every now and then.

Ive been saying for a while now that my next car would be electric. Set a price of £20k but didn't expect that to arrive so soon! Got mine to replace my old seat ibiza st. Boot is a similar size, but the cabin is much bigger. Strange not having gear shifts to keep my speed down but also doesn't feel like a car that wants to be driven fast. Overall I'm very happy.
Hi, I found that on my MG5 just below 70mph is fine . I have set a speed limit at 71mph which helps.
Enjoy your new car

Should be picking my black MG5 up at the weekend. My old 15 plate Dacia Logan Diesel is off to my eldest son. It's been a brilliant car but now with 103,000 on the clock it wont start liking the short journeys I tend to do now. I used to easily get 70+ MPG and once managed 93 from Bristol to Liverpool. The joy's of going from a 50 mile a day commute to working from home.
I've wanted an EV for years so I decided to bite the bullet.

My ZS EV has big shoes (brake shoes?) to fill: a second hand Subaru Forester 2003 (bought 2005), and a second hand Toyota Prius 2007, bought 2009. Both were able to run a cleaning business for many years, and the Forester towed a trailer sometimes. We're retired from that business now, but still value the large cargo space, so the reasonably large boot of the ZS was one of the selling points.

Other people use their ZS EV as their short range car, with a Tesla or other car as their primary vehicle. For us, the ZS is the long range; our other car is a first gen Nissan Leaf. Sadly, even though the Leaf had a replacement battery just over 2 years ago, its range has suddenly plummeted, so the ZS is our only vehicle for anything much more than shopping runs now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom