What Charging station for a newbie

JohnnyBgood

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi,
So as a newbie to EV and having ordered our MG4 Trophy, it’s time to get a charger.
I know, I know there is already a thread on here but most of the posts went over my head, and no I am not a technophobe.
I just need simple advice to start taking baby steps.
Anyway, No1, everyone speaks about tariffs from here and there.
I am with Scottish Power at present. Do you guys mean I would have to change to someone like Octopus for all of my electricity to get their EV tariffs ( night time charging) or is Octopus a bolt on to my Scottish power account.

No 2 I have solar panels which feed into the grid and I get a cash back from Scottish power. Is it wise as some people suggest that I use a charger that uses my solar panels and what extra cost would that involve?

On the other thread, a lot of members use different charger makes and models for different reasons.
Which would you recommend for MG4 and which ones would you tell me to avoid with a barge pole.
I have some local installers going to call me over the next week to give me their spiel etc so want to at least know which brands of chargers to avoid.

No 3. If you guys have any recommendations as to where I can start to learn the basics of EV home charging without my brains being blown out after 10 minutes it would be greatly appreciated.

No 4. Yes last bit of help. We are fortunate in that we have a lot of space outside our front house and side garage. My view long term is to look at power storage.
Has anyone here built their own battery storage with solar panels or have you got professionals in and if so who?

Many thanks
JohnnyBgood

Hi
I have an Mg5 LR Exclusive
I am on octopus go so I get cheap electric from 00:30 to 04:30 @ 7.5/kWh
I have a Zappi 2 charger
In the 4 hours of cheap charging it puts 28kwh into the battery
I too have solar panels
If I leave the car plugged into the charger during the day excess electricity is used to charge the car
BUT the car needs at least 1.4kwh to start the charge
I am having battery storage fitted later this month
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Why not get a quote from Scottish Power and switch to their Economy 7 tariff. It might not be as cheap as the Octopus Energy one but it gives you 7 hours of cheaper electricity instead of 4. Looking at their site their EV charger can also be integrated with solar panels.

I had an Ohme EVSE but changed it to a Zappi when I had solar panels and a battery installed.
I dont get much solar into the car as I am at work all day.
If you go the Myenergi route then they have a unit called the Eddi which uses excess solar toheat your hot water which is great.
How many miles do you do daily or weekly?

With solar panels the favoured charger appears to be the Zappi and also the Hypervolt. I've just had quotes around £1150 to have one fitted.

I think that the plan is to stop doing economy 7 at some point in the not too distant future so you might want to check that out.

HTH

I have podpoint and more then happy with it and charge during the day as I have solar panels as the engineer recommend doing so has he do at home as well and I am more then happy as pay lest on fuel now as wide still has a diesel so only once say in 6 weeks fill-up

Over the winter you won't get much into the car especially if you have a house battery and something like the Eddi for an immersion heater.

Hi

I am wondering how you are getting on with your solar panels and Zappi.

I had a Zappi (1) at my previous house (UK) and gave up using it to charge the car using solar. Every time the sun goes behind a cloud it draws on grid top up at non overnight cheap rates (octopus go at 5p/kw at the time) so was on average cheaper to charge car overnight at 5p/kw. You can set it to just use solar, but it switches on and off every time the charge rate drops below the car minimum input level (pesky clouds), this I deemed bad for the battery as it kept switching on and off).
I was on FIT and solar paid for itself quickly, also had power diverter to heat water, but got an EO charger for the new house which I find so much simpler to use (it can be used for solar input too).

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom