What depth of water can an Electric Car MG go through?

cgwhite

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Folks, we have had serious rain this month. Are there any guidelines as to what depth of water it is safe to go through with an EV. Not sure how waterproof the battery compartment is? With an ICE you can go as deep as the air intake so long as you don't open the doors. No so sure with an EV.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Lots of threads on here cover - with someone asking MG. Seems the advice is no deeper than just below the centre of the wheel - which will be around the level of the sill?

This is from Rolfe on another thread:
I measured the height indicated, and it's about 290 mm. So not as high as I thought I remembered from another thread. Nearly a foot.

It sounds as if MG haven't really thought about it and tested to see how deep the car might safely go in practice, but all the warnings about just staying out of water seem prudent. It would be interesting to know whether that MG4 in the video suffered any ill-effects, but I don't suppose we'll ever know.

My grandfather's neck of the woods . I was thinking of Llanrystud because it can be a bit nasty on some of the many times I crossed it or chickened out 🌝

Is your MG5 having trouble reading the new speed limit signs in Wales?
Having noticed,to be honest . The speed limit through my village has been 20mph for some time and they've just taken down the 30mph signs . All a bit confusing but I just set cruise control to 20 and carry on 🌝

Lots of threads on here cover - with someone asking MG. Seems the advice is no deeper than just below the centre of the wheel - which will be around the level of the sill?

I measured the height indicated, and it's about 290 mm. So not as high as I thought I remembered from another thread. Nearly a foot.

It sounds as if MG haven't really thought about it and tested to see how deep the car might safely go in practice, but all the warnings about just staying out of water seem prudent. It would be interesting to know whether that MG4 in the video suffered any ill-effects, but I don't suppose we'll ever know.
We all will have to take a tape measure with us next time and measure before going through ☺️

I bottled out of crossing a ford, a few weeks ago, but that's because it was raging and I'd have been swept downstream, whether in an EV, or not.
That is absolutely the right decision.

Here's the link to a similar discussion on the MG4 section about wading through flooded fords.
MG4 would seem to have made it through a flooded ford

Here's what I wrote on the subject
Here are my thoughts in relation to some of the replies to this thread, sorry if it's a bit TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read)

Petrol vehicles, the ignition circuit can short in water causing the engine to die. Usually by the fan behind the radiator spraying water over the HT leads.
Diesel and petrol vehicles, hydrolock by sucking water into the engine, or exhaust getting blocked with water (keep the engine revs up)

Land Rovers and other 4x4s can still suffer from this too, but the higher ground clearance plus driving technique are the key to wading. Yes, you can get raised air intakes or snorkels for these vehicles. There is a subtle difference. Raised air intake is used to raise the air intake, typically used in dusty/desert conditions to reduce amount of dust/sand sucking into air intake. Not waterproof. Snorkel, also raises the air intake, but is waterproof, and can be used to wade deeper water. Plenty of 4x4 owners out there with raised air intakes that think they can safely wade in water as they don't know the difference.

The key thing is driving technique. Not too fast, and not too slow, but enough to create a bow wave. This will cause the water to be higher at the front, but is then lower than the actual water level around the front wheels allowing a vehicle to wade through water deeper than the vehicles maximum wading depth (0.5 metre for a standard Land Rover Defender)

However, this ford is in flood, which means the water flowing through it is flowing faster than it normally would. Water doesn't have to be very deep at all to lift a car if it is flowing fast enough. The MG4 demonstrates this, and was definately floating at one point, but either it took on more water and sank, or hit some higher ground and regained traction.

Other potential hazards with flood water, you do not know what is in the water, you could hit a large tree branch, rocks, etc washed downstream. Flood water should be treated the same as raw sewage as sewers and drains will have overflowed in the flood. If the flood is on a road rather than a ford, then drain covers could have lifted, and if your wheel drops into one of those, then you're stuck. If you have to walk in flood water, then an open drain would suck you in and that would be it.

From the training I have the guidance is clear, do not drive or wade in flood water. Find an alternative route. There are too many examples of people losing their lives as a result of driving through flood water. Even experienced drivers can be caught out. For example, there was a lady who drove through a ford in her Land Rover every day, but drove through while it was in flood. Her Land Rover was swept away, and found 5 miles downstream wedged against the side of a bridge. Unfortunately she drowned.

As far as I'm concerned, every driver going through that ford in flood is an idiot.

I was told the main battery has the same specifications as a submarine as regards protection against water ingress. There is also a famous clip of a Tesla driving through water over its front bonnet in a submerged underpass passing other nearby stranded ICE cars.

They can go through any depth: sometimes just once😁

The battery IP rating is typically going to be 67 but you have to remember that isn't the only point of vulnerability.

During the recent floods I lost 40% of the rear undershield. I was driving very slowly and carefully through flooded roads but the big puddles, that you cannot see and approach at higher speeds, when the roads look normal, probably did the damage. I did a Google search and found quite a number of people reporting gaps where the undershield is attached, which would cause this to happen. I had a replacement fitted (77 GBP) and when I look underneath I see 4 inch gaps either side of the centre bolt. In my opinion the undershield needs to be stronger plastic or maybe carbon fibre. Until that happens I suggest driving extra slow after or during a heavy downpour and just let the people behind get annoyed.
The exposed motor plus cables and connections are ok exposed to water but I just stayed off the road when it was very wet until the repair was done. I think MG need to look at fixing this issue.
Finally Google maps does help by sending you down minor country roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, we have had serious rain this month. Are there any guidelines as to what depth of water it is safe to go through with an EV. Not sure how waterproof the battery compartment is? With an ICE you can go as deep as the air intake so long as you don't open the doors. No so sure with an EV.

Any thoughts?
I am very wary of going through deep water, though not because of any electrocution fears. A few years ago I bought a Nissan ENV200 to convert into a camper. It had been driven through deep water and unfortunately the driver could not see a large rock which had been swept off the verge, it punctured the battery case, the safety features kicked in and stopped the power. The insurance wrote the Van off due to the high cost of replacing the battery. Interestingly a few weeks later when a friend took it to his garage, to strip out the useful parts for EV conversions, it started up and ran perfectly.
After he fitted a new battery case, I converted it to an EV camper and ran it happily for two years, although with a 24kwh battery and realistic range of 60-80 miles journeys required careful planning:)

Attachments

• 20200903_143349~2.jpg
    20200903_143349~2.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200706_161454.jpg
    20200706_161454.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 50
We went through a very deep trapped water under a bridge, I was in two minds but had traffic behind , car survived fine & no problems but I will be checking the under seal this winter

Last edited by a moderator:
At Fully Charged a senior MG chap told me that the electrics on the car are tested and passed to 1m depth of water. I measured the sills and they are 45cm at the lowest.

I have driven 300mm in the MG5 and did 500mm in a LEAF without an issue.

You must drive slowly due to potential obstructions & underbody protection damage. My front wheel arch covers came off in a flood!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom