What do you think will be standard range in 5 years time

Maciej

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I intend to keep my ZS for 5 years or so and see where we are do you think we will see a lot of improvement in range over that time as standard at similar price point?

I find now in winter SR Is a bit of an annoyance with range. I drive 25 miles each way to work so need to charge every other day. If we both had ev you would really need to plan who gets to charge when in the house with only one driveway spot

I find it that on mine 95% of the time the range is fine, and charge it 3-4 days, winter time when we had that week of negative I had to charge it like every other night.

However as I plan trips, I find the range is limited without a stop at least, and with my battery degrading at current rate not sure I will keep it for longer

Just out of interest why don't you charge every day I do 30 miles each way on a long range I can use anywhere from 20% to 30% of battery but I still stick it on charge
I do my point was that if both of us had a EV in my house we would have to carefully plan who charges when. Feels a bit like a hassle. I'm greatful that Mrs doesn't drive electric or charging would be a pain in the butt

That depends on a lot of factors I am only hogging the home charger 2 or 3 hours a day luckily I have 24h charging so another EV in the household isn't a problem

Just out of interest why don't you charge every day I do 30 miles each way on a long range I can use anywhere from 20% to 30% of battery but I still stick it on charge
As you have the LR model, I take it you have you set the SOC level to the recommended 80% for the shorter trips then ?.
I assume you are not charging back up to 100% max SOC level on a daily basis of course.
SOC level to 80% should give you around 200 miles ( ish ) of predicted range on the LR model.
So, why do you find it necessary to charge every single day ?.
It poses no threat to the LR battery charging to the recommended 80% SOC level of course, but I am just curious why you place your LR on charge every single day / night that’s all ?.
Every other day would be fine surly for your usage needs, given that your commute is only 60 mile per day.
Not a criticism, just a question 🙋🏻‍♂️.

Ok I actually charge to 90% I charge every day just cos it's easy and if I need to do emergency trip to my parents 150 miles from work it's no bother plus it's nice to come out to car with plenty of range on the hand I am sure I read battery degradation seams to be less keeping batterys in the top 50% to 90% so 4 chargers of 20% is better for the batteries health than 1 20% to 100%
Only time will tell which is the best way and unless people mix it up a bit we will all end up with the same results
I am also a little concerned about people with the standard range batteries showing degradation over such a short time and miles

do you think we will see a lot of improvement in range over that time as standard at similar price point?
Back to the original question it's really hard to guess. Obviously more miles is nice but is it really needed for 90% of journeys I think the charging infrastructure is what needs to be better and faster then a 300mile car is probably all that is needed
I like the idea of battery swapping stations but for that to work it's probably best for all batteries to be the same no matter who makes the car

Last edited:
The most expensive cars you can buy at the moment have 500 miles of range, which I think is a figure the most ardent anti EV drivers are quoting as a minimum. So, give it 5 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if the average priced EV will have 500 miles, which would also take the strain off the charging network. There are battery chemistries in the laboratories which can achieve 1,000 miles of range for the same size, but whether they will be scalable to mass production is another matter.

I think a range of 300 miles regardless of weather and driving style will become standard for middle of the range cars. That would be about equivalent to a WTLP of about 400 miles with current technology

Ideally they'd be 3 ranges with reliable range of 200 for commuters, 400 for general and 600 for longer range/business drivers

Those that could charge at home would rarely need to use public chargers, taking pressure off the infrastructure and creating capacity for those that can't charge privately

In response to the OP thread headline.
If you take the development of EV’s over the past decade or so, battery sizes have roughly doubled. The 60-70kwhr packs that we see on a lot of cars will deliver real world 200miles of range most of the time. This 200 mile range was considered by many to be a tipping point for EV’s

Real world range has increased over time by about 100 miles, so it would be reasonable to expect similar going forward. This would mean real world 300 mile range EV’s would be commonplace.

The other point to consider is that we don’t necessarily need excessive range if charging infrastructure and speed is there.
Battery chemistry is improving quite rapidly now, and is becoming cheaper to manufacture, who knows where it will be in 10 years time? We will certainly see longer range and more efficient EV’s - and hopefully a much improved charging infrastructure.

Its doubling roughly every 5 years, so average should be about 400-500 miles? Unless all those potentiall battery game changers come along.
Hopefully the 100k wh home battery will be available, and cheaper, now that really will be a game changer.

So what is your degradation? I have just hit 5k miles but 100% battery health very rarely I see below 50% state of charge
3120 miles and now I've got 96.02% battery SoH. I'm monitoring it, at this rate when I do 1 year ownership I will have lost 10%.

3120 miles and now I've got 96.02% battery SoH. I'm monitoring it, at this rate when I do 1 year ownership I will have lost 10%.
Probably less than that as degredation is not linear. There will be a sudden drop early on and then it evens out over time.

I think somewhere between 300-400 miles would be desirable for many people.
When day to day use lets you fill up once a week or longer and to cover the odd day out.
300 miles would give you 200+ in Winter I think.

300 miles would be great for many people that would cover whole week of driving for many so even if you could only charge once a week you could easily manage it's also about 5h of driving on a A road so plenty. Will be interesting to watch where we go.

My winter range in SR is 120 miles which is 40 miles less than summer range which is a lot of difference

I have got my long range and i am charging almost every day with a commute of 50 miles to work so 100 daily finding the car more expensive than advertised obviously cheaper than a diesel still but the showroom did quote a lot cheaper than I'm getting, also only getting 220 miles 100% charge instead of 276 miles. Anyone else finding this or just me?

I have got my long range and i am charging almost every day with a commute of 50 miles to work so 100 daily finding the car more expensive than advertised obviously cheaper than a diesel still but the showroom did quote a lot cheaper than I'm getting, also only getting 220 miles 100% charge instead of 276 miles. Anyone else finding this or just me?
Thats strange

Are you charging at home on cheap rates?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom