What do you use on your seats?

ajw1100

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I do not think the seats are real leather, I am sure I read somewhere what they are made of....
Got in the other day and nearly shot back out the seat was so hot. Is there a treatment recommended to keep them in good supple condition? I have some old Simonize Leather cleaner/treatment in the garage somewhere, is this any good for the MG seats?

no to both of the above - these seats are plastic/vinyl and chemicals could damage them.

Upvote 0
no to both of the above - these seats are plastic/vinyl and chemicals could damage them.
Beeswax doesn't have chemicals and is natural. a google search will tellyou :

Is beeswax good for car interior?
Beeswax is an antifungal agent and can protect your seats from mold, bacteria, and other unwanted organisms. It also restores the natural water-resistant qualities in your leather seats and keeps them looking better for longer.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi ajw1100,
Just for your information and to put your mind at rest. The leather used in the HS plug in (especially in the luxury model), is in fact real leather, supplied and fashioned by Bader leather products of germany. They have many factories throught the world, including several in China. The hides are horse, and not cow, hence the slightly smoother,softer feel. This is the same leather they use in high end handbags,shoes and household seating as well as cars.
So, to ensure the leather keeps its looks and feel, it is a simple case of using a good quality leather preserver or polish.
I live in the Algarve where the strong sunlight is always a problem. Whenever the car is parked up I always use a good reflective sunshade in the windscreen to try to minimise the temperature inside the car, and shade the leather as much as possible. Infact, it is more effective to have a large sunscreen secured on the outside of the windscreen to stop the suns rays and heat from penetrating into the car in the first place. ( of course, where you park will play a large part in using the outside option, as there could be the possibility of some little git swiping the said cover!!!)
Any way, just a little information for you.
PS. A small sticker in the windscreen stating "I OWN A GUN" may well make any would be " tea leaf" think twice !!!!!

Upvote 0
MG currently claim the seats are "Leather Style":
Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 10-50-41 New MG HS Plug-in Hybrid MG Motor UK.png

Upvote 0
Yes, sales speak meaning "Not Leather".
Perhaps the spec changed over time?

Upvote 0
Hi ajw1100,
Just for your information and to put your mind at rest. The leather used in the HS plug in (especially in the luxury model), is in fact real leather, supplied and fashioned by Bader leather products of germany. They have many factories throught the world, including several in China. The hides are horse, and not cow, hence the slightly smoother,softer feel. This is the same leather they use in high end handbags,shoes and household seating as well as cars.
So, to ensure the leather keeps its looks and feel, it is a simple case of using a good quality leather preserver or polish.
I live in the Algarve where the strong sunlight is always a problem. Whenever the car is parked up I always use a good reflective sunshade in the windscreen to try to minimise the temperature inside the car, and shade the leather as much as possible. Infact, it is more effective to have a large sunscreen secured on the outside of the windscreen to stop the suns rays and heat from penetrating into the car in the first place. ( of course, where you park will play a large part in using the outside option, as there could be the possibility of some little git swiping the said cover!!!)
Any way, just a little information for you.
PS. A small sticker in the windscreen stating "I OWN A GUN" may well make any would be " tea leaf" think twice !!!!!
the car seats are all 'vegan leather' - they are made of plastic.

Yes, sales speak meaning "Not Leather".
Perhaps the spec changed over time?
all of the ZS/EV 'leather' seats came out as 'vegan leather' - polite way of saying plastic.

Upvote 0
Hi,nOde
The original question was raised by Ajw1100 who owns a HS PHEV,not a ZS or an mg5. If you look at the MG Europe website highlited by Billit1967 it plainly states that on the HS PHEV Luxury model the seats and dash are made of real leather supplied by BADER leather. (who do not deal with fake leather). I know that as time has gone on there has been "up grades" and ammendments to the model. For instance, on my 2023 car bought in Portugal,there is no issue in using A/C or heating whilst in EV mode now, it works perfectly. The SAT NAV is much more responsive and accurate than previous models which some owners had complained of. There has been several "improvements" on the newer models, and maybe one of them is regarding seating material, I don´t know,or maybe it´s Europe and UK differential.

Upvote 0
And the voting goes to...................?:confused::confused:
Thanks for all your comments guy's.
I'll send an email to MG and ask them, Should be interesting to see what they say and what product they recommend so the seats stay in good condition and are not damaged in any way.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom