What jack should I buy?

Petriix

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Ok, I've done what a few others have and picked up an mk5 Golf spare wheel from Ebay for £25. The bolt pattern matches although the overall diameter is somewhat smaller; but it only needs to get me to the nearest tyre place so not a massive issue.

Now I need to buy a jack, but there seems to be a lot of choice and I'm not certain what would be appropriate. Once thing that occurs to me is that the tyre walls are quite high so there will be a fair difference between the clearance under the car with a fully inflated tyre compared to when flat so the jack will need to have at least 4 inches of travel before thinking about the suspension.

What did everyone else buy?

Looking to do something similar, does the mk5 Golf jack not work on the MG5
I don't know, I just bought the wheel. I imagine that the MG5 is a fair bit heavier and higher than the Golf.

I dont know, have a look under 'mg5 upgrdes and accessories' 'spare wheel kit' lots of information on that thread

I haven't bought different bolts. Should I, or would the originals work?
Bolts need to have the correct angle on the base/collar to suit the wheel. I don't know what the specs are for the MG 5 bolts or the Mk Golf wheel, just that if you get the wrong contact angles things can go horribly wrong....

Having a spare wheel as an optional extra was a real bonus for me buying the 5. A bit on the expensive side, but the MG spare wheel does include the correctly rated jack.

People are spending lots of money on tints and all sorts of other accessories, I'd rather spend some more on a spare wheel I know is exactly the right size etc.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Having a spare wheel as an optional extra was a real bonus for me buying the 5. A bit on the expensive side, but the MG spare wheel does include the correctly rated jack.

People are spending lots of money on tints and all sorts of other accessories, I'd rather spend some more on a spare wheel I know is exactly the right size etc.
I'm not. I'm spending as little as possible. So far I've spent around £50 on charging and £120 for 6 months' insurance for the 2500 miles covered. I've splashed out £25 on the spare wheel and might blow another £12 on a jack.

Hardly a big spender here!!

Done 1200 miles in 4 months for far....
Spending £250 on tints
£100 - 2nd hand Thule roof bars and roof box
£4 on charging - rest is free charging in work & CYC Scotland
£80 on 4 months insurance for now...

Not bad for running costs for a car that I use everyday!

Hi, did your work put a charger in for you or were there some already there? Is it correct that there is no BIK for charging at work but what about the cost of the electric?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom